Sign in to follow this  
daedalus316

Python vs Lisp for Game Design

daedalus316    119
Hello World,

well yeah the title really explains what i am asking. I am already decently fluent in python and am currently learning lisp. From what i have heard it is an amazingly advanced language with some incredibly powerful features (macros, programs as lists.). What I wondering is how this all relates to game design. What libraries are there and are they any good? Overall is lisp better for game design than python?

smr    2468
Are you asking about developing games or rapid prototyping of games?

I'll assume you're asking about prototyping. When it comes to that, what makes a language more suitable is less about the language itself and more about available libraries and environment. When you prototype, you should have an environment that enables you to make changes quickly and see the results immediately. You also should be able to do basic things like put images up on the screen, read input, play sounds, etc. without needing to write a lot of boilerplate code. Python is well suited to this task because there are many excellent IDEs having full debugger support, while you also have a number of libraries that should cover just about any need you have for prototyping a game (pygame, panda3d, python-ogre, pyglet... list goes on) .

Telastyn    3777
[quote name='daedalus316' timestamp='1333459005' post='4927854']
Overall is lisp better for game design than python?
[/quote]

If you're in an academic setting or a lisp whiz, yes. In almost every practical matter, I suspect that you'll find Python better.