[DX11] Cheapest Video Card

Started by
10 comments, last by Asesh 12 years ago
Hi community.

I want to buy a video card that supports DX 11. I only will use that video card to develop DX11 applications, not for playing or something similar.

I saw this video card that is cheap in my country:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=02G-P3-1529-KR&family=GeForce%20500%20Series%20Family&sw=vvvvvvv

What do you think?
Advertisement
should be more than enough for developing D3D 11 applications besides it's NVIDIA not crappy AMD/ATI
It's a very low-end part, so don't expect blazing performance. You 'll be able to develop on it, but your framerates will be very slow if you're working on anything that's relatively advanced.
I have a quick Question currently my video card supports Directx 10.1 would a simple DirectX11 work with it??
You can use DirectX11, but restricted to the 10.1 feature set. So for instance, you wouldn't be able to use tessellation shaders.
I strongly suggest to stay away from anything having a 64-bit bus.
Even if the feature set is there, the performance pattern is so horribly screwed your perception of reality will be altered.
I'm not even sure it can fill a standard screen (8 GiB/s of bandwidth). Aim for at the very least 128 bit DDR3. If you're buying less than that, you'd probably be better served by an IGP those days. Or save your money.

I mean... this whole thing makes no sense. It would appear to me you would be far better served by a well-performing D3D10 capable card. Something around 100 USD. Such as the GT440, more than 3x the memory bandwidth for 79.99 or hell, the GT450 which takes us to the world of real DDR5 cards with another bandwidth increase of 2x.. fill a lot of simple pixels, that's what you're going to do for a while. And play some mainstream titles.

Previously "Krohm"

Thanks Krohm for your detailed answer.

I will save some money more, and buy a better video card. GTX 460 is a good option I think.
The 400 series is not a good choice IMO. They're fatally flawed, seriously. (the bug appears when you do a readback of pixels from the GPU, which is widely used in Modeling apps, but some games that use it could be affected)

AMD is far from crappy nowadays, and offers comparable performance to NVIDIA's at lower prices, heat generation, & power consumption.
NVIDIA drivers are still slightly superior, but if you're going to use DX 11 for development, AMD's GPU PerfStudio is very nice (which lacks DX9 support), compared to NVIDIA's PerfHUD (which has DX9 & DX10, but no DX11...)
Forgot to mention, yes NVIDIA Parallel Insight supports DX11, but if he's looking for affordable GPUs, he not likely able to afford the paid version of Visual Studio (express version doesn't support plugins, required by Parallel Insight)
Thanks for your answer!

I will save more money and buy a better video card.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement