Installing the newest DirectX SDK?

Started by
3 comments, last by jniblick 12 years ago
I'm sure that this is a simple explanation, but I really need to know how one would go about installing the new DirectX SDK. I was reading on the MSDN Website that the DirectX SDK is now included with the Windows SDK. How do I go about installing the DirectX libraries into Visual Studio 2010?
Advertisement
You need to download DirectX SDK (June 2010), it's the latest available for Win7 or older OS. (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=6812)

Microsoft decided that Windows and DirectX are connected way too tight, therefore on Windows 8 and Visual Studio 11 DirectX SDK comes in Windows SDK, together with VS11. I think they stopped updating DirectX SDK as separate update, so if you want newest version you have to install VS11 (beta/pirated), or get Win8 because VS11 Express isn't available on Win7 (or I wasn't able to find it).
Will I still be able to develop and release DirectX Games using DirectX SDK 2010? Will there be any compatibility issues?
No there won't be any issues. The DirectX SDK only gives you access to more stuff:
- debug driver
- REF rasterizer
- documentation
- code samples
- etc...

It will not break anything.

Just don't forget to distribute your game without any SDK dependencies (i.e. release mode using retail driver) since most users will not have the SDK (this will change though)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Thank you all for the helpful information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement