• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Carbon101

x

This topic is 2447 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

I am having trouble picking a direction. I left C++ for Actionscript 3.0 because a friend of mine told me it was easier and faster to pick up. Lately, I am not so sure about that is true anymore. I am not getting used to the syntax for Actionscript 3.0 and the Flash develop interface and its getting pretty frustrating. At the same time, I am not a C++ expert nor Java (basic knowledge for both). I started a pong game for C++ but placed the project on hold due to the fact that I couldn't get the ball mechanic working properly.

Another reason for the switch was that I read some comments on this forum suggesting to stay away from languages such as Java or C++ and to go for languages such as python.

I guess the big question is..
Should I stick with Actionscript 3.0 or tough it out with C++ and or Java?

Because at the end of the day, all I want to do is to make games, and to have something done before the break.

Steps:

1) Pick one language that seems good to you.
2) Ignore any language fans saying "X is better/easier!" Just because it's true for them, doesn't mean it'll be true for them - And language fans tend to think their language solves all problems.
3) Learn said language.

All programming languages have upsides and downsides. If C++ works for you, learn it.

Seconding the above advice, you really just need to pick any language and stick with it through the difficulties. We do commonly recommend languages other than C++ around here, but if you personally find C++ more comfortable then use it.

It sounds to me like you might not be all that interested in programming though: you want to make one or more games, and a programming language is a means to that end. If that is true, and particularly if you want faster results, you might try working with a product such as Construct 2, Game Maker, FPS Creator, Realm Crafter, or any of the many other such packages out there. Rather than programming from scratch, these tools provide a pre-built framework, and allow you to focus on creating your game using visual editors and point&click interfaces, often with a simpler scripting language provided for more advanced features.

You could also consider Unity3d, which is similar but somewhat more flexible, but will almost certainly require at least some programming. Unity has excellent documentation and an active and helpful community.

Hope that's helpful! smile.png

@jbadams

Oh no trust me, I am really interested in programming (more power and freedom than Game Maker), I just need to work on my patience. Thank you for your advice.

same to you @Narf the Mouse

You're welcome.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!