{IMHO} RPG elements

Started by
4 comments, last by Stormynature 12 years ago
Hello,

I was just thinking of what components are creating the RPGs and how an ideal game for me had mixed them:

Story telling- with this it is meant - receiving the game's story, walking the corridor to make the chapters completed, enjoy-immerse the heroic live, lesser boss fighting (doesnt require any preparation for the fight)

Tunning- this element means tunnig the character, my approach here is that it is like creating/designing/plaining the comprehensive mechanism and then you are enjoying its behaviour under various situations and you are happy/unhappy/mind blown if you succeed. What belongs here is
build making, equipment collecting, strong boss fighting -requires strategy and equipment change based on the opponents assumed weaknesses .

Lore- exploration - walk out of the corridor which is not necessary, teraing should be interesting to explore both for rewards and landscape atmosphere, crafting when trying various combinations...

With these elements identified I think it would be good ask ones self how much (time spent by the player on it) each element would be presented in ones ideal game and what is the status (quality) of these element in the current game to an ideal quality (100%).

So for me it is:

.................................%of time........................% current best stuff/my ideal
Story telling:..............30-50............................90(Bioware stuff)
Tunning:....................35-45............................40-50
Lore:.........................15-25.............................30-50

I would be glad guys if any of you make this too, I am quite currious how the local community is set ;-).
Thanks.
Advertisement
I like some storytelling, but not much.
I like lore, as long as it's not mandatory.
I like some tuning, but I prefer if you drop me in a world and I tune as I go, rather than having to spend the first 45 minutes of gameplay deciding what color to dye my character's nostril hairs, and whether I want to go with pointy ears or not (Oblivion was like this - 45 minutes was not an exageration, when watching my brother play. For myself, trying to rush past it, it was still about 20 minutes of menu tweaking before the game begins). I'd rather choose my skill points and weapon proficiencies after familiarizing myself with the game enough to make an informed decision.

Personally, for me, area design, world design, characters, music, mood, and atmosphere is everything.
I like lore more than story.

Story forces me to watch boring half an hour long cutscenes (go play soul eater).. But in most games, you have to search for lore OR you're allowed to read lore whenever you want. The 3 games whose story I found most compelling were Warcraft 3, Bastion and Limbo. Bastion because of the interesting narrator story progression. Warcraft because it made you care about the characters and the world (Azeroth). As for Limbo... it was a really wonderful and creepy experience.

One game whose story I did not understand was Braid. I'm not even sure if there is a story to it at all. Almost all other games have walked the fine line between a winding plot and sheer boredom, most notably Assasin's Creed IMO.

Lore allows one to read more about a game's universe without you having to bother about the storyline :)

As for tweaking, like to be able to tweak after the first two or three missions because that's when you figure out how you want to play the game. Bioshock did this very well, as did games such as Bastion. I don't like menus that popup before you start the game and force you to tweak, as Servant of the Lord stated.

So, yeah. Tweaking > Lore > Story for me, though others may disagree :)

a WIP 2d game engine: https://code.google.com/p/modulusengine/

English is not my first language, so do feel free to correct me :)

When I play a game what I look for is "immersion". I want to lose myself in the game and shutout the reality of the real world (insofar as my girlfriend will let me). Using the three elements as defined by you:

Story: A story should carry you but not have you sitting there as a non-participant watching cut-scene after cut-scene. You should collect the story as you progress through the game whether through dialogue, messages or other forms of delivery. There should be an unfolding persay that is not intrusive to the point of interupting gameplay but rather accessorising it in such a way as to make the gameplay have validity and depth of meaning to it.

Tuning: Whenever I play a game with skill sets I invariably choose skills that I find complementary to my play style. One of the harder aspects of some games is the need to utilise specific cookie cutter skill sets in order to complete the game. I don't mind the character creation screens too much for an MMO though having my choice of name already taken sucks, I do find in single player games though that character modelling screens are a waste of time and should be more an optional thing rather than a necessity. I do however remember spending hours on the character creation screen for Baldur's Gate rolling and re-rolling the virtual dice trying to get brilliant stat scores (I blame my days of D&D for this).

Lore: I love game lore, but I know many who don't bother. Interestingly though, in having conversations over ventrilo I do find that a lot of people who don't chase down the lore in games do enjoy listening and engaging in a lore dialogue, so delivery of lore ingame could also be an issue in a lot of cases. I do find that lore though has a richer tapestry and is far more interesting if it has been developed over multiple game episodes. I also have found that people who tend to hunt achievements also tend to be lore followers.

I don't truly see one element as being more important than another element, so long as none of them break me from feeling immersed in the game.
Hey guys,

I know it is not pleasant to use someone else' definitions, so thanks for it!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

Tweaking > Lore > Story

[/font]

Isn't this a hardcore player signature? Definitely on the active side of the gaming

[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

smile.png.

[/font]

Probably it is right that the game with a rule set allowing decent tunnig will also have a harder creation of char at the start. Maybe thats one of the reasons why

the classes were born as there is set of skills and atributes predefined. (but there are some other cool ways to treat it ;-))

[/font]

Maybe I have a one more question. It looks that decent lore requires a large world and tons of assets. Is it possible to deliver decent lore for a small team? Or there is some other way to reach it?

[/font]

[quote name]
The Blair Witch Project is thought to be the first widely released film marketed primarily on the internet. The film's official website featured fake police reports and 'newsreel-style' interviews. Due to this, audiences and critics initially thought it was an actual documentary about the 'missing' teenagers. These augmented the film's convincing found footage style to spark heated debates across the internet over whether the film was a real-life documentary or a work of fiction.
[/quote]

The above way was very cheap and an extra-ordinarily effective way of introducing lore for a creative work not too mention the marketing aspects as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement