Visual C++

Started by
10 comments, last by Flanigan 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi all! I am brand new to programming, and I''ve been spending a lot of time lately to surf sites like this one... just to get an idea for what language I should go for etc. I think C++ is the language I''m leaning towards, but I still have one major question that I''d like to have answered; Why is nobody talking about MS Visual C++? I thought that would be a super cool tool for anybody who''s a creative person and is more into design than programming, but I never ever see it mentioned on this website or any other site like this one... I dunno... please let me know what you think about Visual C++! Thanx!
Advertisement
Read around a bit more and you''ll find out that it''s what most of the Win32 coders here use.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
He''s right, most C/C++ programmers for Win32 use MSVC. However, here''s my critique on it:

IDE: Very nice . From all the Windows IDE''s I''ve used, this is my favorite. Close runner up is command line imo .
Compiler: Average (decent optimization, decent standards compliance, but luckily it allows other compilers to be ''plugged in'' to the IDE). Borland has better standards compliance, other compilers optimize better on average.
Visual-ness: Not much (which is either good or bad depending on how you look at it). Borland''s VCL is much more ''Visual'', since it is aimed at RAD.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Thanks a lot - that lifts the fog a wee bit... I''ve probably seen somebody writing MSVC, but just didn''t get what it meant.

Also - thanks for the summary, that kinda thing is really helpful for me at this stage.

Does anybody know if they have trial versions available somewhere?
VC++ 7 is sweet. The IDE is much, much nicer than 6.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Ack!!! I dislike the VC.NET IDE. Looks too much like the VJ++6 IDE. Granted, the executables are much faster and smaller, but it''s too cramped for me to work in. (I have a hard time getting around in it). I just write in VC++6, and use VC.NET for compiling after I know my code is working.
Try increasing your screen resolution .
Just kidding. Yeah, there's a lot more stuff going on, but once I got used to it, I really started to like it. The tabs are extremely useful.

Edited by - Martee on October 4, 2001 11:43:48 PM
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I think the regions are a fantastic addition. You can''t imagine how much less scrolling I have to do.
Where did you get VC.NET compiler? I dont think it is for sale yet and it would surprise me if MS allowed for a free upgrade. Or is it a beta version from some magezine like MSDN mag?

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
Yeah, probably I might begin to like it too if I programmed in it more. It''s just that I''m so use to the VC6 IDE.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement