Weekend Community Challenge - Let Loose the Kraken! - Contest Underway!

Started by
142 comments, last by szecs 11 years, 10 months ago
Summary
The gist of this is that you have 72 hours from when the theme is announced to make a game. You can use whatever libraries you want, whatever tools you want, whatever languages you want for whatever platform you want ... the idea is to just build a game within 72 hours utilizing the theme.

If your game has external dependencies to run, then please link to them from their source website so that judges can download them. Provide instructions so that people can play your game!

Time and Date
The theme will be announced shortly after midnight, Friday morning CST (May 25, 00:01 GMT-6). The contest will end at midnight, Sunday night, CST (May 27, 23:59 GMT-6). This provides a 72 hour window, so no matter what time zone you're in you'll have a full two days to make a game.

This Contest's Theme
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]

Below the thunders of the upper deep;[/font]

Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,[/font]

His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep[/font]

The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee[/font]

About his shadowy sides; above him swell[/font]

Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;[/font]

And far away into the sickly light,[/font]

From many a wondrous grot and secret cell[/font]

Unnumber'd and enormous polypi[/font]

Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.[/font]

There hath he lain for ages, and will lie[/font]

Battening upon huge seaworms in his sleep,[/font]

Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;[/font]

Then once by man and angels to be seen,[/font]

In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.[/font]

- Alfred Tennyson, 1830

Previous Themes

Judging Criteria

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]Points are evenly distributed between the bullets, so with a '10' being kick ass, each category gets up to 2.5 points.[/background][/font]

• First Time User Experience - How easy it is for the player to get rolling with your game. Covers installation and communication with the player on how to play the game.
  • Graphics & Audio - Pretty straight forward, do the visuals and sound contribute to or detract from the game?
  • Theme - How integral is the contest's theme with the game?
  • Fun Factor - Is it an enjoyable gaming experience?

Prizes

• $75 Amazon gift card
  • The game of your choice on Steam! ($60US or less)
  • A fun gadget from Think Geek

Competitors

• Servant of the Lord
  • Cornstalks
  • japro
  • szecs
  • irreversible
  • Wan
  • AndyEsser
  • Major Tom
  • jbabrams
  • cowsarenotevil
  • Oolala
  • ryan20fun
  • Moe
  • Madhed

Judges

• zer0wolf
  • alnite
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Advertisement
I had fun with 'U Can't Touch This'*. I'll join (depending on circumstances, ofcourse). Sign me up as a potential contestant.
It was very exhausting/tiring last time, but exhilarating. Looking forward to it.
I use C++ and SFML, plus some of my common code library (string manipulation and parsing, Lua binding, stuff like that - I can post the contents before the contest begins if needed).

For the interested, last time I live posted my progress here, and reviewed (not as a judge) almost every game here.

Hmm, sounds like it could be fun. Unfortunately I won't be available during a weekend until May. :(
I'd be interested, but free time is a bit of a premium resource for me.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Don't have much free time at the moment with school and all. Would be interested if it were in May though.
I wasn't even thinking about people and school :P Would be the middle of May work better?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

I wasn't even thinking about people and school tongue.png Would be the middle of May work better?

Maybe after Dream Build Play? :P

I wasn't even thinking about people and school tongue.png Would be the middle of May work better?

Don't wait too long, because the weather might be too nice by then; and bringing my laptop to the beach never proved to be all that productive. ;)

Anyway, I might be interested and if I can't make it I can still offer my services as a judge like last time.
Dream Build Play lasts until mid-June and generally has larger games that this competition. ;)

I'll keep this thread going to gain interest and then figure out which weekend it is going to be be. Should be somewhere around a few weeks from now.
Since it has been a month, I'd like to bump this and see if interest levels are any different now?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement