Weekend Community Challenge - Let Loose the Kraken! - Contest Underway!

Started by
142 comments, last by szecs 11 years, 10 months ago

[quote name='Moe' timestamp='1338088409' post='4943615']
Time for another screenshot:

http://dl.dropbox.co...enSmack_002.png

(I really ought to figure out how to post images with the new forum software...)

there's a little button that looks like a picture of a tree. You just click that and put the link in.
[/quote]
As they would say on the internets: "herp derp derp!". Not sure how I missed that!

For the first time in my life (well, not entirely true, but close), I've actually got gameplay going. I'm currently working on adding difficulty levels.
Advertisement
26 hours to go! I'm digging everyone's screenshots. Keep 'em coming :)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Have we talked about a way of submitting them yet? I've got my uploaded here, as I won't be working on it on Sunday:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/144587/KrakenSmack.zip

Requirements:
- 1280*720 resolution (it probably runs on less, but I didn't test in on anything less)
- XNA 4.0 runtimes, available here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914
- Requires Shader Model 2.0 Hardware (so it should be fairly playable on anything made in the last, what, five years?)

Instructions are included in the game. It has been ages since I have made anything that actually involves gameplay, and it turned out to be quite the fun experience. My original concept was a bit different, but I wanted to keep it simple enough so that I'd actually finish it. I'm actually quite happy with the quality of the end product, despite there being a few bugs in there. It would also have been easy to pour in more hours on the artwork alone, as I'm definitely not an artist. Also, the complete lack of sound/music probably doesn't help, but I've actually never coded anything with sound. Maybe next time?

If anyone is wanting the source code/assets, they can find it all here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/144587/KrakenSmackSource.zip

And one more screenshot, for the heck of it:

KrakenSmack_003.png
It's getting late for me and I need to sleep since I have work in less than 8 hours. I'm afraid by the time I awaken, go to work, and get back, the competition will be over. Will there be, by any chance, of me having a slightly extended submission time? :D

@Moe: Congrats on submitting! Can't check it out at the moment, but I will when I can!
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.
I'm afraid I have to bow out. I'm at least a third of the way from completing anything and I've just spent 7 hours trying to get the damn thing running in release mode and I've NO IDEA why it keeps crashing (the problem is probably in my basecode, which has been tested in debug mode only). It loads properly when debugging the release build from the IDE, but crashes completely sporadically when running the exe. Too tired to keep messing around with obscure bugs for now.

Anyways - Moe, your game crashes on my laptop (no error)! GF 240M, dualcore Intel, 4GB RAM, Win7 Home Premium 64bit.
mine's comeing on quite nicely( considering the limitations i'm having to work with ).

heres a screen shot:
[attachment=9046:untitled.JPG]

( that bug cylinder coming out of the ocean is a tentacle of the kraken ).

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Sorry I missed the thread, I can judge if you need another.
Oh and another thing, THIS IS A COMPETITION!! If you're posting screen shots and talking about too many details you're giving away useful intel to your competitors! Don't give them a bar to shoot higher than. My 2 cents.
Interesting lesson learned: Implement gameplay first!!!

I'm afraid the game isn't as fun as I had it envisioned it in my mind...
gotta enter crunch mode ASAP. biggrin.png
I didn't make a game, but I did make a picture. Pictures are like games, but different.

ri9so5.jpg
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement