Weekend Community Challenge - Let Loose the Kraken! - Contest Underway!

Started by
142 comments, last by szecs 11 years, 10 months ago
Okay. My release mode is not working. :( But the game's done. Will a video suffice since it works in debug? ^_^
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.
Advertisement

[quote name='irreversible' timestamp='1338121802' post='4943685']
Anyways - Moe, your game crashes on my laptop (no error)! GF 240M, dualcore Intel, 4GB RAM, Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

Hmm, strange. Was it an all-out crash or did it just immediately quit?
[/quote]

As zer0wolf noted I don't have the XNA runtime installed so that's probably the reason. Anyway, it would have been nice to get an error message of some sort. Right now it just throws up the crash report/close dialog on start.
Well, here's a link to the video of me playing one of the levels.

I have no idea why release mode crashes. Wish I could have submitted something people could play instead of watching.

Gag: Re-Lease the Kraken. The Kraken's newest-favorite sportscar was on sale, but he needed to get another lease since his old one (that materialistic bastard). However, the Kraken's credit score is bad (and he should feel bad). The player, the car, must drive far away from the Kraken or until you make the amount of money he'd need to buy the new car.

Since I didn't have enough time, the money concept is kind of just "there" in the game. It became pointless without implementation (was originally going to be one of the main concepts of the levels: have enough money AND survive). But that was the idea.
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.
Damn I wish I saw this thread before today, I would've loved to participate again; I loved the last contest.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

[quote name='Moe' timestamp='1338172368' post='4943862']
[quote name='irreversible' timestamp='1338121802' post='4943685']
Anyways - Moe, your game crashes on my laptop (no error)! GF 240M, dualcore Intel, 4GB RAM, Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

Hmm, strange. Was it an all-out crash or did it just immediately quit?
[/quote]

As zer0wolf noted I don't have the XNA runtime installed so that's probably the reason. Anyway, it would have been nice to get an error message of some sort. Right now it just throws up the crash report/close dialog on start.
[/quote]
Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure how much I can handle such a case, as it's probably something getting tossed from the bowels of XNA. I'll have to look into that though.
Hey guys, I just wrote a little blog post about participating in the competition. Mostly though, I just want to show you two things:

Making my game:
[media]
[/media]

"Playing" my game:
[media]
[/media]

I had a ton of fun. Thanks zer0wolf for organizing this! Good luck to all those who finished!
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

blah

are you going to do anything else with this? It looks like an interesting concept.

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1338229484' post='4944100']
blah

are you going to do anything else with this? It looks like an interesting concept.
[/quote]
I'm not entirely sure, but I'm seriously contemplating it. I've had a few really good ideas (at least I think they're good ideas) for extending this game into an Android/iOS game. I recently just started a new Android game, but I haven't gotten past the "Hello world" stage so it's not too late to change ideas... I will be contemplating this...
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Alrighty everyone, I'll work on getting my reviews up within the next 48 hours for all the submissions. Anyone who didn't compete can also judge. I know that Alnite and Cornstalks have volunteered to judge.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Ok everyone, my judging is close to being finished. I'll post my results Tuesday or Wednesday evening, just to make sure I haven't missed anyone before I post them. So far I've played and judged games from:

• Moe
  • szecs
  • ryan20fun
  • Madhed

I've also got a little feedback for japro, KanonBaum, and cowsarenotevil, though they didn't make playable games.

Is there anyone I happened to miss?

Overall, I have to say well done to everyone! There were some pretty clever creations, and I had fun playing them!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement