Weekend Community Challenge - Let Loose the Kraken! - Contest Underway!

Started by
142 comments, last by szecs 11 years, 10 months ago
Although I didn't officially get judged, I will appreciate the feedback Cornstalks! It's a shame I had library issues. :(

I -would- like to reiterate we should have another competition in a few weeks and have a longer deadline perhaps? Like a whole week?

Great job guys!
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.
Advertisement
Only Mahmed's game run as it was on my machine. I will download all the necessary stuff today and try al the games.
I wrote up a little post-mortem: http://joelbennett.w...ack-postmortem/
Found the release problem and fixed it. But I'm more than likely too late. Anywhere, here's the game from the video. No modifications to it to prove that this is what I had before the bug. (Mac OSX only atm)

However, I do plan on fully implementing all the other futures and I'll release it on the forum under Announcements.
I also made a blog post about it
Really had a blast doing this! I will definetely consider joining next time. I also made a blog post about my experience http://www.gamedev.net/blog/899/entry-2254675-tentacle-madness11eleven/.

Cheers guys
I plan on playing through everything and posting the reviews tonight.
I just got back from a mini vacation. Sorry that I haven't been able to follow this thread in the past 2-3 days.

From what I can gather in this thread, I have downloadables from the following contestants:

• japro
  • KanonBaum
  • Madhed
  • Moe
  • ryan20fun
  • szecs

Please let me know if I missed your name. I'll play all these awesome games tonight, and provide my feedback Thursday night PST.

Found the release problem and fixed it. But I'm more than likely too late. Anywhere, here's the game from the video. No modifications to it to prove that this is what I had before the bug. (Mac OSX only atm)

what was the problem out of curiosity?

[quote name='KanonBaum' timestamp='1338272628' post='4944262']

what was the problem out of curiosity?
[/quote]

It was a mix of a few things that didn't have much to do with the library actually. I've been using a new map editor that saves the tileset you use exactly where it is on the machine from the root drive. I had been using it and thinking it was local. That's just the first part. The second was that I'm still in no way used to Xcode 4 for the mac (I liked Xcode 3's layout. Made more sense I thought.) I wanted to bundle the media for the game in the application itself this time around and finally found out how to do that via Xcode. With this solution and the previous problem, I discovered that the map file wasn't pointing to the tileset in the app as already state. (This whole process led me to think that it was something to do with the library's graphics loading). The third part was that the location of the release build was placed wrong (probably by me in a rush).

As a solution, I truncated the file path when the map got parsed and loaded it via resource prefix (points inside the app). So everything got fixed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement