Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zer0wolf

Weekend Community Challenge - Let Loose the Kraken! - Contest Underway!

143 posts in this topic

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1338434841' post='4944869']
[b]cowsarenotevil[/b]:
I know it's not a game, but it looks pretty cool... Is it a 3D model (i.e. can you post more views of it?)?
[/quote]

Sure. Do you have anything in mind?

[quote name='cowsarenotevil' timestamp='1338498778' post='4945093']
[b]cowsarenotevil[/b]:
I know it's not a game, but it looks pretty cool... Is it a 3D model (i.e. can you post more views of it?)?
[/quote]

Sure. Do you have anything in mind?
[/quote]

I'm not sure how well you can render water, but it would be cool to see it bursting out from the ocean a couple of miles away (to show its size) with large waves of water being displaced. All of this with dark red lighting (more black than anything for contrast).

Perhaps even spice it up with debris of ships floating closer towards the camera.

Just an idea.

[center][size=6][b]Results![/b][/size][/center]

Congratulations for all of you for completing it and submitting it. I had plenty of fun playing these games.
Since japro hasn't truly completed his game, and KanonBaum's entry seems to have library issues, I have to skip them. Sorry guys

[hr]
[size=5]Madhed – 8 points[/size]
Great concept. Simple yet fun. There's no ending or particular skills needed, but it's still fun. I can imagine playing this game on a touch-screen device, and madly tapping the screens destroying the tentacles.

First Time User Experience (2 points):[list]
[*](+) Simple Main Menu, with options to choose the resolutions.
[*](+) Simple and intuitive control (one button click, really).
[*](-) It has the Input tab upon starting the game, which might confuse the player as none of those keys are actually usable in the game.
[*](-) Repair interface could be improved. Perhaps having part of the ship highlighted on mouse over before the repair had begun. I had several experiences trying to repair one of the masts but ended up fixing the hull because I couldn’t get them fixed.
[/list]
Graphics and Audio (1.5 points):[list]
[*](+) I love the bobbing ship and health crates, especially when the tentacles are starting to swarm the ship. I think it adds a bit of dynamic to the game.
[*](-) No Audio.
[/list]
Theme (2.5 points):[list]
[*](+) I think of all the contestants, this game hits the theme right on. The tentacles and the bobbing of the ship is uniquely a “Kraken experience”.
[/list]

Fun Factor (2 points):[list]
[*](-) I enjoyed the game, though not necessarily wanted to replay it again after one or two runs. I think it could use rounds to divide up the progress. Perhaps adding additional powerups or upgrades can certainly add depths and replay value to the game.
[/list]

[hr]
[size=5]Moe – 7 points[/size]
I love the intro and the story telling part. You have a knack in choosing the right picture for the right passages. I put a smile on my face when I beat the game and I see other sea creatures giving thanks. However, I do think the game needs more balancing and the state its now somehow ruin the experience (see below)

First Time User Experience (2.5 points):[list]
[*](+) Warm fuzzy feeling with the story lines and sea critters.
[*](+) Simple and intuitive controls. Instructions on how to play is given right there on the screen right before you start the game.
[*](+) Simple Main Menu.
[/list]
Graphics and Audio (1 point):[list]
[*](+) 2D cutesy graphics and they fit well with the look of the game.
[*](-) No Audio.
[/list]
Theme (2 points)

Fun Factor (1.5 points):[list]
[*](-) Inconsistent game - Game becomes really easy if you catch all items in the first 5 seconds of the game, but impossible to beat once items starting to drop. They drop really fast and there's no way for you to catch up. Looks like a bug in the timer. The inconsistent experience really bugs me, and it could use some balancing.
[/list]

[hr]
[size=5]ryan20fun - 7 points[/size]
The only game with 3D graphics and audio. For a moment I got confused what I'm supposed to do and I keep destroying ships, but later I realized that I'm supposed to save those ships from the protruding tentacles. My fault for not reading the README, but I think this change of direction is actually a pleasant surprise and a clever idea. It gives you a bit of a challenge that you actually have to aim for the tentacles, while destroying as few ships as possible.

First Time User Experience (1.5 points):[list]
[*](+) Extra effort for the README.
[*](-) Gameplay is a bit unintuitive. For non-readme readers (like myself), it can confuse players what needs to be done to play the game. Adding the instructions right before the game can help.
[/list]
Graphics and Audio (2 points):[list]
[*](+) 3D graphics!
[*](+) Audio!
[*](-) Tentacles and ships could use better textures.
[/list]

Theme (2 points)

Fun Factor (1.5 point):[list]
[*](-) Clipping and control issues. The clipping issues and difficulty in control makes this game less enjoyable. Although it has a great concept, it could use more polish in these departments. Many times I'm not sure if I'm hitting (or getting hit) by Kraken. I can't rotate fewer than my framerate allows me, so I keep ended up making these huge turns and miss my aims at the Kraken. I'd have enjoyed more if I can actually kill those tentacles.
[/list]

[hr]
[size=5]szecs – 8.5 points[/size]
A very challenging puzzle. I'm not sure if I have the patient to sit and think. I got to level 4 before I gave up (Yeah I'm a quitter), but this does not mean that the game sucks. The paths remind of me the game Pipe and Entanglement. This game definitely feels "complete". Quite an accomplishment for 72 hours of development time.

First Time User Experience (2.5 points):[list]
[*](+) Simple Main Menu, with Help and About screens.
[*](+) Intuitive. I did not read the readme first, so I didn’t know the goal of the game beforehand, but I could quickly pick up what’s going on after seeing those paths, the Kraken at the bottom and the ship at the top.
[*](+) Control is also intuitive. Drag mouse horizontally and vertically to cycle through the tiles.
[/list]
Graphics and Audio (1.5 points):[list]
[*](+) Clean graphics. Reminds me of Windows 3.1 games.
[*](-) No Audio (although it was clearly stated in the Help, but I think some sound effects would help and the ability to turn it on/off from the menu).
[/list]
Theme (2 points)

Fun Factor (2.5 points):[list]
[*](+) Challenging!
[*](+) Replay Value - Since each level is random, this game can be played over and over, and get different solutions.
[/list]

[hr] Edited by alnite

ryan20fun: (7 + 6 + 6 + 7) / 4 = 6.5
[code]/*
First time user experience: 7/10
- 64-bit version crashed on startup (32-bit version worked)
*/[/code]
[/quote]

( i assume you have a 64Bit OS ) was there anything in the 'Iterator Shared Log.TLog' log file( you can open it in any text editor, i just added a custom extension to it so that i could ge some nice syntax highlighting in notepad++ )

[code]/*

Graphics and Audio: 6/10

- Had audio! :) The audio definitely made it more fun, but there was a sound I couldn't ever figure out what it was
*/[/code]
[/quote]

i think that sound you are talking about is the one that plays when you escape from the tentacle that attacks you( its says: cant touch this, just a little more humor )

[code]/*
Fun Factor: 7/10
- Was there a way to escape from the tentacle? I felt like if it appeared below me I was doomed.
*/[/code]
[/quote]

you can escape from the tentacle that appears under you, all you have to do is move to a new spot.

it was a bit of a half implimented feature, that tentacle was only supposed to target you when you stoped.

[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1338534066' post='4945222']
ryan20fun - 3 points
-1 Clipping and control issues. The clipping issues and difficulty in control makes this game less enjoyable. <snip>. <Snip>. I can't rotate fewer than my framerate allows me, so I keep ended up making these huge turns and miss my aims at the Kraken.
[/quote]

what do you mean by "I can't rotate fewer than my framerate allows me" ?

ryan20fun - 3 points
I'd have enjoyed more if I can actually kill those tentacles.
[/quote]

I actually did not think of that. Edited by ryan20fun

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1338563137' post='4945330']
View Postalnite, on 01 June 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:
ryan20fun - 3 points
-1 Clipping and control issues. The clipping issues and difficulty in control makes this game less enjoyable. . . I can't rotate fewer than my framerate allows me, so I keep ended up making these huge turns and miss my aims at the Kraken.

what do you mean by "I can't rotate fewer than my framerate allows me" ?
[/quote]

It rotates too fast, perhaps it's framerate related, or maybe not. Say tentacle is 15 degree to the right from my ship, and I tried to rotate my ship so it can be facing the tentacle straight ahead. Lightly taping the key rotated my ship 45 degree. This is the 32-bit version. The 64-bit version also crashes on me.

I don't have any maximum points (like 10 or 5 stars), but I rate the games based on their completion, game mechanic, and theme.
[/quote]
How are we supposed to combine our results/ratings? I thought:

[quote name='zer0wolf' timestamp='1333659587' post='4928590']
[b]Judging Criteria[/b]

[left][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)][u]Points are evenly distributed between the bullets, so with a '10' being kick ass, each category gets up to 2.5 points.[/u][/background][/size][/font][/color][/left][list]
[*]First Time User Experience - How easy it is for the player to get rolling with your game. Covers installation and communication with the player on how to play the game.
[*]Graphics & Audio - Pretty straight forward, do the visuals and sound contribute to or detract from the game?
[*]Theme - How integral is the contest's theme with the game?
[*]Fun Factor - Is it an enjoyable gaming experience?
[/list]
[/quote]
(underline mine)

Hey all, been busy with work. Will work on my reviews tonight [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

And yes, please use the judging/points guideline I provided, so everyone has a consistent criteria they're being judged on. Edited by zer0wolf

[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1338566090' post='4945341']
Say tentacle is 15 degree to the right from my ship, and I tried to rotate my ship so it can be facing the tentacle straight ahead. Lightly taping the key rotated my ship 45 degree.
[/quote]
The sub does tend to turn at a highish speed( on my machine ), but that does look suspicius.

[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1338566090' post='4945341']
This is the 32-bit version. The 64-bit version also crashes on me.
[/quote]
That's strange, since 99% of all testing i am doing on 64Bit( 32Bit is tested every now and then ), ill have a look into it and get some other people to run it under 64Bit.

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1338568018' post='4945349']
zer0wolf, on 05 April 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:
Judging Criteria

Points are evenly distributed between the bullets, so with a '10' being kick ass, each category gets up to 2.5 points.

First Time User Experience - How easy it is for the player to get rolling with your game. Covers installation and communication with the player on how to play the game.
Graphics & Audio - Pretty straight forward, do the visuals and sound contribute to or detract from the game?
Theme - How integral is the contest's theme with the game?
Fun Factor - Is it an enjoyable gaming experience?

(underline mine)
[/quote]

Ow darn. I'm sorry. I completely missed that. I will reevaluate my scoring, and edit the post above.

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1338592713' post='4945453']
View Postalnite, on 01 June 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:
That's strange, since 99% of all testing i am doing on 64Bit( 32Bit is tested every now and then ), ill have a look into it and get some other people to run it under 64Bit.
[/quote]
I got a d3dx9_43.dll missing error message when running the 64-bit version, and I think I have the latest DirectX drivers (at least Windows Update is not saying I need to update DirectX).

[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1338624279' post='4945513']
[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1338592713' post='4945453']
View Postalnite, on 01 June 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:
[/quote]
I got a d3dx9_43.dll missing error message when running the 64-bit version, and I think I have the latest DirectX drivers (at least Windows Update is not saying I need to update DirectX).
[/quote]
can you try installing DirectX from [url="http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109"]this[/url] link ?

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1338628361' post='4945528']
can you try installing DirectX from [url="http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109"]this[/url] link ?
[/quote]

I just did, I don't get the error message anymore, but your app now crashed at startup.

[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1338793142' post='4946022']
[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1338628361' post='4945528']
[/quote]

I just did, I don't get the error message anymore, but your app now crashed at startup.
[/quote]
And what does the log( "Bin64\Iterator Shared Log.TLog" ) file say ? Edited by ryan20fun

I seriously apologize for the massive delay. Life gets in the way of fun sometimes! Anyways, here are my results:

Madhed's "Kraken"[list]
[*]FTUE - Executable "just worked", no instructions or real intro, but pretty self explanatory - 1.5
[*]Graphics & Audio - Visuals were pretty nicely done and very legible, but no audio at all - 1.5
[*]Theme - I think a good job was done here, as the core of this game is built around defense from a kraken.- 2.0
[*]Fun Factor - I'll be honest, this is pretty boring. If the health casks worked then there might be some strategy to it? Right now you just hold down your left mouse button the whole time and aim at the tentacles. - 1.0
[*]Total - 6.0
[/list]
Moe's "Kracken Smack"[list]
[*]FTUE - Double clicked and it fired up. Includes a main menu, in game instructions, and an amusing story! - 2.5
[*]Graphics & Audio - Crude visuals, but affective. No audio. - 1.0
[*]Theme - Theme was used but not integral. - 1.5
[*]Fun Factor - I get what you were going for here, but it wasn't any fun. You could win by simply waving your mouse back and forth quickly. - 1.0
[*]Total - 6.0
[/list]
ryan20fun's "Kraken Arises"[list]
[*]FTUE - Didn't work when I first tried it, Win 7 had to apply compatibility mode. Had in game instructions and the gameplay was pretty clear. - 2.0
[*]Graphics & Audio - Graphics are crude but work, has music and SF! - 2.0
[*]Theme - The kraken taking down ships, and you defending the ships from the kraken, is a pretty cool concept using the Kraken theme. That being said, a - 2.0
[*]Fun Factor - I really wanted to give it it a bit more, but aiming at the tentacles was damn well impossible using WASD and I wasn't really sure if my bullets were doing anything to the tentacles? Floating around the water shooting was pretty cool, though. 1.5
[*]Total - 7.5
[/list]
szecs' "The Kraken"[list]
[*]FTUE - Loaded right up and has in game instructions! 2.0
[*]Graphics & Audio - Crude but affective visuals. No audio! 1.0
[*]Theme - You slide the Kraken appendage pieces to complete the puzzle, taking down the ships. Pretty good. - 2.0
[*]Fun Factor - Out of all of the game, this one I genuinely enjoy. It has ramping difficulty, the controls work well, and makes you think. - 2.5
[*]Total - 7.5
[/list] Edited by zer0wolf

Here are the results! Let me know if my math sucks :P

Madhed's "Kraken" - 7.2
• 6.0 (me)
• 8.0 (alnite)
• 7.5 (cornstalks)

Moe's "Kracken Smack" - 6.9
• 6.0 (me)
• 7.0 (alnite)
• 7.75 (cornstalks)

ryan20fun's "Kraken Arises" - 7.0
• 7.5 (me)
• 7.0 (alnite)
• 6.5 (cornstalks)

szecs' "The Kraken" - 8.2
• 7.5 (me)
• 8.5 (alnite)
• 8.5 (szecs)

I'm going to sync up with Alnite and then contact people about prizes. Since we only had four contestants who submitted works, and both Moe and ryan20fun scored so closely to each other, I think we'll be nice and give them each a "3rd place" prize :) Edited by zer0wolf

I was going to say "Woohoo! Dead last! Yeah!" but I think "Tied for 3rd" sounds a lot better. :P

Regardless of how I placed, I still had a ton of fun doing it. Cornstalks, alnite, and zer0wolf: Thanks so much for doing the judging.

Yay, second! I somehow knew szecs would make it to first place though. Congratulations! And thanks for the competition and judging, this was really fun.

Won't ChurchSkiz be judging?

Anyway, if that's the final result, thank you very much! I enjoyed this contest very much, thanks Zer0wolf for making it!
And I'm happy that others enjoy my game. This was my first "invented" gameplay (okay, a pretty straightforward game).
This means that this project can be continued, and that is the plan.
Thanks for the judging and the reviews, I didn't hope to get detailed feedback. These comments will be very valuable for improving and polishing the game.

Unfortunately, I couldn't run all the contestants games, because my machine is too old, and installing some games required totally reinstalling/updating the system. Edited by szecs