Success and gratitude

Started by
4 comments, last by Krohm 12 years ago
I couldn't think of a good title for the thread, so I just summed up the post in it :)

A long time ago, I started played Master of Orion, and that game inspired me to make games. Actually, what I always wanted was to create my own Master of Orion game. After years of not knowing what is required to make a game, I finally registered for "Computer Science" class at my high school. I didn't know what it was about, but I knew I liked computers. This class introduced me to programming, and I realized that this is how games were made. I had absolutely no idea what programming was, or even the name of the act of creating a computer program (I'm deaf, so English was actually my second language, so that explains part of the reason :) )

But once I discovered the joy of programming, I was hooked, but alas, the high school class only taught programming using C++ and Command Prompt. Our final assignment was to create a simple game, and I managed to create a simple pac-man clone in DOS. But where to learn windows programming, especially 2D/3D game programming? I'm not sure how, but my parents found "Tricks of Windows Game Programming Gurus" and gave it to me as a Christmas present.

That opened up the game programming for me, but I struggled with simple concepts such as moving sprites over time, acceleration/velocity, etc. At the end of the book, there was a list of useful links, and one of them was "www.gamedev.net". That's when I really started learning, and learning how to learn.

Fast forward to now. I'm now a professional developer, working on my own Master of Orion game in my free time. Desura has just accepted my game for alpha funding, so I guess I'm an official indie developer now :D

The high school class and the book was just enough for me to find what I really need for game developing, and that was gamedev.net. Without you guys, all of this won't be possible. I've made the classic noob mistakes in my early days here. But with your answers and advice, I matured and gained experience. I wanted to say thank you for those who've helped me attain my lifelong dream.

Without you all, I probably would still be programming DOS games. Again, thanks for all of your help over the time! It wasn't an easy journey, but it was well worth it! Anyone else have success because they found this website?
Advertisement
I love you too *hugs*

When I joined GameDev.net I had just finished Army basic training and was in AIT. Since when I've served six years in the Army Reserves, went to Purdue University and got my Bachelor's, and spent the past four and a half years in the industry. I'm now a Producer working on one of the biggest social games on the internet. GameDev.net has been a fantastic encouragement and resource to keeping moving forward.

Hats off to everyone I've met on these forums over the years as well :)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Congratulations!

Caek!
Floorcaek.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Congrats!! Master of Orion has been one of my preferred games of the past. I always dreamt of a new release similar to the old game but with new options.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor
Thank you very much for sharing, it's very inspirational.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement