Beginning programmer needing some advice

Started by
3 comments, last by Inukai 12 years ago
Hey people

Iv recently graduated from a video game design and development course looking for a way to step into the industry. Throughout my time at school we used various game engines (XNA, Unity, UDK) and i'm pretty confident in my skills with all of them coding-wise I'v also started learning DirectX. But now that iv graduated im not sure which engine to continue using. My problem now is that there are 3 different programming languages within those 4 engines and Im trying to take everything in, but im getting massive brain overload. Which engine would be the most beneficial to continue.

Thank you very much guys
Advertisement
Well, seeing as Unity is the only thing you listed which is actually an Engine, I say go with that!

All seriousness though, Apparently, XNA is on the chopping block to be discontinued, as of Windows 8 there will be no more support for it.
Unity3D(lite) is all the rage at the moment for indie developers anyway, kind of depends on what you want to do. Unreal is always an awesome engine.

Wow, I doubt I could be more unhelpful to your original question if I tried, sorry!
If you are looking for a way to step into the industry as a programmer, I'd suggest finding an engine that uses C++. Nearly every programmer job asks for extensive C/C++ knowledge. Without it, you will most likely be stuck in the indie market (which is fine if that's what you like). That being said, I think Unreal is a great choice as well if you want a powerful, potentially beautiful engine without diving headfirst into a .cpp file. UnrealScript is fun and fairly simple to use.
Thank you guys :-) What engines are there that use c++ other then directx opengl and sdl? It seems like there aren't any engines in c++ like unity or udk. Will game programming for c++ be more of a visual studio thing or are there unity style engines for c++?

What engines are there that use c++ other then directx opengl and sdl?

An API is NOT an engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement