Need C++ Help

Started by
6 comments, last by Bill Door 12 years ago
I need help with C++. I need books or Internet resources where I can learn C++ and get the basics down.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Here's one. :)

On a less facetious note, that's a really big question. I wish I could recommend a book for you, but I've never read a programming book. I seriously just googled things about C++ and went through all the tutorials I could find, so I might sound like a jerk with that link, but I seriously mean it.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

the real thing we need to know is, what experience do you have in programming...

if it's none, I wouldn't recomend C++ as a first language, It's amazing, but, it's best to start un object oriented and work your way up. Maybe learn C, then java (java next as it is allot more forgiving than C++ is)

this is a good starting point to learn C.

if you have experience in programming basics, then I can recommend a text book I used as a student.

C++ Programming: [color=#333333]Program Design Including Data Structures [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

[color=#333333](ISBN-13: [/font]

9780538798099) (ISBN-10: 0538798092)

[color=#333333]the best thing to do is write your own assignments, for example, make a data system for a library (store books, people, lending info in classes (try to keep in mind data abstraction, it will help you in this)) so that a user console can enter data into the system and check current loans/people/book status

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]if it's none, I wouldn't recomend C++ as a first language, It's amazing, but, it's best to start un object oriented and work your way up. Maybe learn C, then java (java next as it is allot more forgiving than C++ is)[/font]

At first I was agreeing with you, and then I was shaking my head by the end. C++ is an amazingly terrible language (for beginners). C is pretty bad too, it just has a couple less convoluted parts in the language.

C++ (and C) are indeed bad choices for a first programming language. If you're just starting out, I'd recommend something like Python, Haskell, or C#. Personally, I love C#.

You might be wondering what's so bad with C and C++ for beginners. Here's an example that compiles just fine, and yet it does something terrible. Forcing beginners to watch out for things like this while trying to learn the fundamentals of programming is a good way to confuse the crap out of them. What's worse, the compiler won't tell them they're doing anything wrong. And when they run the program, who knows what will happen? No one. Heck, it could even print out "hello". It'll probably crash, but the fact is that in C and C++, if you write wrong code, you may not know it for years down the road when suddenly the system starts crashing and you have to figure out why. Have fun with that.

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << 37 + "hello" << std::endl;
}

And here's a link for reading.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
That is ungenerous, I think. C/C++ just have a different philosophy than some other languages... It provides a lot of power to the programmer, and efforts to stay out of their way. Sometimes, "dangerous" or odd things turn out to be really clever, if you know what you're doing. C++ doesn't hold your hand. It gives you the tools to do incredible things, but if you choose to or are ignorant, it won't stop you from shooting yourself in the foot.

C++ also allows you flexibility that, say, Java doesn't give you. C++ doesn't force you into OO all the time. It provides the tool for you to use, and it is up to you to use it. If you take it easy and attempt not simply to use the things it gives you but to understand the tools it puts at your disposal, C++ is a fine language both to learn and to use. Ultimately, though, we all have our own preferences, which is why these arguments on what is the right language to start with never go anywhere.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Yeah, we've had the "C++ debate" a billion times before. Let's not go down that road again, shall we?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

ok, well, I'm not trying to start a debate, I just think that C was a good starting language as it is a good way to decide if you want to be a programmer, it's unforgiving, it won't baby sit you, it will show you the most lowest form of data abstraction in programming, well, kinda, haha :) also C is amazingly fast, sometimes companies still C coders
C++ is a fine language to learn. I teach C++ programming to high school students as a first language.

You do not need to learn C first. In fact, learning C first can be a handicap.

I introduce programming to the students using Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++. This book teaches programming, while using C++ as the example language. Learning the techniques of problem solving with programming is key to learning to program. C++ is the language of choice for this book.

Good luck and Enjoy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement