Sign in to follow this  
NuclearTide

Help a noob pave his path into game development?

I spend countless hours [i]reading[/i] about game development and programming, but not actually [i]doing[/i] any game development and programming. This is a big issue of mine. I started programming a year and a half ago, and I developed this habit of reading and getting pointlessly excited instead of doing.

I'm determined to break this habit. I think I lack specific, measurable, attainable goals, and I want to take my game development abilities seriously. To this end, I made a ripoff of a [url="http://www.photonstorm.com/archives/2247/flash-game-dev-tip-12-building-a-retro-platform-game-in-flixel-part-1"]2D platformer level in Flixel[/url] by simply changing the sprites and background color. Nothing amazing, and I learned nothing from the experience.

Members of gamedev.net, I would like some advice. I want to make and [i]finish[/i] games, and I understand I will have to start as small as necessary and work my way into more complex projects. I understand that C++ is the industry standard, but that choice of language is irrelevant; besides, I have taken a liking to C# and XNA. With my ultimate goal of being able to implement my [i]own[/i] game ideas, what are some classic game designs to implement in order to get my skills up to par? I include a list below, and I would be grateful for any advice!

[list=1]
[*]Pong
[*]Arkanoid
[*]Tetris
[*]1942
[*]Mario-type platformer
[*]Pacman
[*]Roguelike
[*]Wolfenstein 3D
[*]3D games
[/list]

The idea would be for me to implement these games and post them here for feedback.

Do you really need 8 games to make a 3D game?

You could make fewer simple games, like 1-2 to teach you to use the language and make organized well designed code, then a game to teach you 2D math, then a game to teach you 3D math.

[quote name='Waterlimon' timestamp='1333710653' post='4928734']
Do you really need 8 games to make a 3D game?
[/quote]

Yes. Especially if the focus is on doing/finishing games. The smaller steps will help the OP achieve that goal.

I would move pacman above the platformer, but otherwise the list looks very solid.

I don't get this line: "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left]With my ultimate goal of being able to implement my [/left][/size][/font][/color][i]own[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left] game ideas"[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left]Why does that stop you from using C++?[/left][/size][/font][/color]

Read the post again. He just said, that he likes c# / XNA more than c++

After that he said:
"With my ultimate goal of beeing able to implement my own game ideas,
[left]what are some classic game designs to implement in order to get my skills up to par? "[/left]
[left][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]Which has nothing to do with his language choice.[/size][/font][/color][/left]

I admit, that c#/c++ statement was kinda random.