In dev stage :p

Started by
18 comments, last by ????????????? 12 years ago
Hi guys, I discovered http://gameware.autodesk.com/ yesterday and they rock. Does anyone have information about how they work? There is no package that has them all together? Something I read on UKD and CryEngine.

Also im making a simple mmorpg in flash and i need [deleted by mod. Use Classifieds to seek people]
Advertisement
just going to say: Flash isn't really suited to a MManything, and MMOs are rarely simple. Start with something less ambitious and build up your programming/software design chops, then go from there.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.

just going to say: Flash isn't really suited to a MManything, and MMOs are rarely simple. Start with something less ambitious and build up your programming/software design chops, then go from there.

Flash has socket support which really is all you need for an MMO client (Making an MMO client is fairly easy aswell, the backend is the hard part).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
i was thinking about a simple 2d mmorpg (forget the 3d its impossible 4 now) without client (browser game)

i was thinking about a simple 2d mmorpg (forget the 3d its impossible 4 now) without client (browser game)

It is still a client even if you implement it in a browser. I don't really consider a 2d mmorpg very "simple" either. You will have the same needs for managing databases, implementing security, handling bandwidth issues, ect.

My advice would be to be sure you can do all of the following: Pong, Pacman, Tetris, Mario, a 2D rpg, a chat program, and can interact with databases securely. If you have the skillset to do all of that then you will maybe be able to approach a 2d online rpg game... I think the massive part would require a bit of experience with a "non" massive online rpg game as well.

Anyway back on topic a bit... You mention you want to make a 2d mmorpg so why would you need 3d middleware? For instance Beast is a lighting API specifically tailored to 3d games.... Scaleform allows for nice GUIs in a 3d environment (Although if you are USING flash, then you have absolutely no need for scaleform). HumanIK is for realistic human kinematics and once again will do you very little good in a 2d flash based game (you can't even use it). Kynapse offers high performance pathfinding but once again simple A* would probably be sufficent for your needs (that product is also tailored more towards 3d games).

In-fact I will safely say that you do not need any of those products. Even if you were making a 3d game, you still do not need any of those products. If you use UDK then it has Scaleform built in as the UI system, but even then you still don't absolutely NEED it.

That is to say the tools that you use don't make a good game, YOU make a good game (although most of the time your first few/ten/hundred will not be very good until you gain experience). These tools are made for professionals in professional settings doing professional things under professional budgets.

Using professional tools will not give you professional results, nor will it make you a professional. Wearing the same shoes as a professional basketball player will not making you play basketball as well... using a professional hammer will not make you a professional carpenter... and using professional game development tools will not enhance your results unless you have the experience to use them properly. Most of the features in such tools will be lost due to the fact they were made to support large teams and large worlds... This should not be your aim as a small team... You should aim small because that is the best chance that you have of success with game development. Aiming small does not mean you can not make a great game, it just means knowing and understanding your own limitations in terms of experience, time, and budget.
Ok i get it, thank you for the big explaning post! The examples with the professional tools where very clear! I think im just gonna work on flash. My biggest problem for now is that i cant communicate php with actionscript 3 so i cant pass variables. I have tried lots of codes but still nothing. I also have no idea about the "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

implementing security" and "handling bandwidth issues

[/font]" (the last cauz i dont think i will have so much fans with a simple 2d mmorpg :P)

Ok i get it, thank you for the big explaning post! The examples with the professional tools where very clear! I think im just gonna work on flash. My biggest problem for now is that i cant communicate php with actionscript 3 so i cant pass variables. I have tried lots of codes but still nothing. I also have no idea about the "

implementing security" and "handling bandwidth issues

" (the last cauz i dont think i will have so much fans with a simple 2d mmorpg tongue.png)

Loading php generated data with actionscript 3 shouldn't be a problem (and you can pass data back to php by encoding them in the URL), It is not a suitable way to implement an MMO though (Due to the insane HTTP overhead which will kill your bandwidth for an MMO scale game), For a smaller scale game (less concurrent players basically) it works but even then you might need to compress the data to keep things managable.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Then how can i do it? For example, how i will pass the ingame name of the player from the database to the flash textbox or label?

Then how can i do it? For example, how i will pass the ingame name of the player from the database to the flash textbox or label?

Don't take this wrong but you are not ready to develop a 2D mmorpg. Try and do simpler parts of the whole mmo as a standalone game/prototype such as implementing a scalable online chat which records what people say in a database (see what I mean? you will be able to use the concepts in your mmo but you won't need much work to get your prototype running). Do this for many parts of the mmo and then when you're ready you can tackle the whole thing (probably in a few weeks/months if you work hard).

Also, mmorpg's require a lot of planning and designing and if you jump head-on into coding, you will inevitably hit roadblocks when you start thinking "maybe I shouldn't have done it like this" or "this isn't a very smart way of doing that" and you will have to refactor and refactor endlessly which will ultimately make you waste your time. By prototyping several times you can acquire a better idea of the concepts and notions that make a mmorpg and will be able to get it somewhat right with less time spent rewriting inappropriate code.

Unless you are very bright, of course, but even if you are you would probably still benefit from this prototyping phase.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

i think you are right, veeeeeeeeeeery right man. But i still have the communication problem i described before. I know how to use mysql and php together but i dont know nothing about php and as3 communication xD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement