im 16. i want to start now. where do i begin?

Started by
11 comments, last by Inrideo 12 years ago
so im 16 and i have alot of free time. but not for long. i want to use this time i have, but idk HOW to use!

my overall dream is making a full fleged 3D multiplayer...but right now i know absolutlly 0.
i want to know at least a little of everything, ex- artwork, programming, design, media. so i know how to deal with other people who are experts in their perspective field. but for my self im not sure which area i want to understake as my "main career"

now take into account iv never had any experience making any games at all or even know how to get one started. i have many ideas though. what i want is someone who has progressed in this to tell where i need to start, and what i need to learn. i know i should start small, and i have plenty of time to do so.

im just a kid in his room with a dream lol, looking for some help.

thank you for taking your time to read this and for any help you offer.
Advertisement
to be completely honest you need to consult the other daily "i'm a new person wanting to make a game" post. this question is asked every day here and you can just review the threads on the first page of the forum for answers.

good luck tongue.png

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/622672-aspiring-game-creator/
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/622645-getting-started/
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/622973-total-newbie-with-a-few-questions/
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/622777-newbie-here-i-wish-to-start/
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/622678-getting-started/
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/605788-please-help-me/
thank you!
Yes, popeface is right.
However, you said your time is limited, but will take years to learn the basics of programming and be able to create your own game.
You should use some kind of gamemaker software instead or create mods.
It will give you an overview on all the aspects u mentioned.

Yes, popeface is right.
However, you said your time is limited, but will take years to learn the basics of programming and be able to create your own game.
You should use some kind of gamemaker software.
i mean my free time is limited as i will be getting a job proably at 18 and i want to optimize the time i have now to its fullest
Welcome, scrap! Speaking as someone who started programming as a hobby at age 13, and now at 24 has a full time job with it, I can tell you its certainly not impossible even with limited time to pick up some skill. Learning the basics really only takes a little while... mastering the basics... well... I know some professionals who are still working on that :P. I'd say, if you have an interest in this stuff, and some aptitude, go for it! Just don't expect too much too fast. Rome (and most games) wasn't built in a day, etc etc etc.

As for figuring out which area you want to specialize in: Best thing to do there is to expose yourself to them as practical. Some highschools have a some basic programming, graphic art, and media courses, otherwise look around online for intro stuff. Later on, college/university is a great place to pick up a lot of skills relatively fast (and to meet people with similar interests... the team for the project I'm working on right now is made up largely of people I met at university).

Anyway, Good Luck!
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.

Welcome, scrap! Speaking as someone who started programming as a hobby at age 13, and now at 24 has a full time job with it, I can tell you its certainly not impossible even with limited time to pick up some skill. Learning the basics really only takes a little while... mastering the basics... well... I know some professionals who are still working on that tongue.png. I'd say, if you have an interest in this stuff, and some aptitude, go for it! Just don't expect too much too fast. Rome (and most games) wasn't built in a day, etc etc etc.

As for figuring out which area you want to specialize in: Best thing to do there is to expose yourself to them as practical. Some highschools have a some basic programming, graphic art, and media courses, otherwise look around online for intro stuff. Later on, college/university is a great place to pick up a lot of skills relatively fast (and to meet people with similar interests... the team for the project I'm working on right now is made up largely of people I met at university).

Anyway, Good Luck!
13! nice! thank you so much, you raise my sprites in this, and you shine light on several future paths. im starting with learning C# and learning computer science. also i might pick up basic animation. the idea part i guess comes natural because i dream of what i want to make almost every week, and write many things down! but...i just need a way to make it tangible(at least virtualy tangible). thank you again i hope to be the best i can as soon as i can

Yes, popeface is right.
You should use some kind of gamemaker software instead or create mods.
It will give you an overview on all the aspects u mentioned.

Ok, It will not " take years to learn the basics of programming". That is complete nonsense. Every programmer I know, has made the likes of pong/space invaders within the first month of learning to program. From there it's not a giant leap to platformers.

The thing which will take the MOST time, is gaining the experience of what works, program flow etc. Any person with half a brain and a desire to learn can be a programmer. It just takes dedication and a LOT of practice to become a GOOD programmer.
Might I suggest you can also learn a great deal by joining an active existing project, contributing in small bits at first (bug fixes, artwork, scripting) and then in ever increasing amount, until you have enough in your arsenal to head out on the road to seek your own fortune. After all, if a youth with designs on being a civil engineer were to say "I want to build a 6-lane cable stayed bridge over a major river, hopefully in my spare time and before i finish high school" they would be laughed at. Not that you're saying that here, but it is a frequent refrain that appears in these forums.

Try looking at something like World Forge, as an example project. Build it yourself, discuss it with developers, modify it. You will learn. Too big? There are literally tens of thousands of smaller projects with openly available sources and active, responsive developers. You are better off hanging around successes than mouldering by yourself in a damp basement.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Well, i admit "ages" is a bit overacted. But he will need at least year to learn the basic stuff(Graphic-Api included).

The thing which will take the MOST time, is gaining the experience of what works, program flow etc

Which counts to the mentioned "Basics" for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just talking about learning how to use a loop or how to use OOP
or the Basic stuff of his Graphic-Api (Remember, he want's to create 3D Games).
He has to learn how he should design the program architecture, how to debug, how to comment/document and so on, or he will reach a point where
he want's to throw all away, because he is lost in his own code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement