Sign in to follow this  

Need help understanding this way of animating sprites.

This topic is 2075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using the book "Learning XNA 4.0"

http://codepaste.net/f6w368 is the code

What I am not getting is, the currentFrame.X * frameSize.X. Seeing as how anything mutlipled by 0 = 0. Only other way I think how this works is, when currentFrame++ happens, it becomes 1*75, etc. But this is still a bit fuzzy to me, can someone help me understand this?

The sheetsize is 6 frames by 8 frames. And the sprite size is 75x75. And I am not exactly experienced with Points, so thats what had me somewhat more confused.

The first sprite would start at (0,0) => (0*framesize.X, 0*framesize.Y) while the 2nd would be start at (1*framesize.X, 0*framesize.Y), the next one (2*framesizeX,....).
Remember, textures start on the top left, the (0,0) point and the y axis goes down(screenSizeX/ScreenSizeY) would be the Bot right on your screen.

So your animationsprite starts at point(currentFrameX*framesize.X, currentFrameY*framesize.Y) and is framesizeX and framesizeY wide.(so the end point X would be the starting point for the next frame).

Example:
currentFrame = 0

first sprite starts at (0,0) => (currentFrame*framesize.X, currentFrame*framesize.Y)
currentFrame++
2nd sprite starts at (1,0) = (currentFrame*framesize.X, currentFrame*framesize.Y)
When X is >= the wide of your sheet, you increase y by 1 and x starts again at 0.
You do the same thing as above until you finish the next row.

I believe I understand now, it was the currentFrame * frameSize stuff irritating me, but because it's a Point and not an int it wouldn't be the same as 0 * 75 = 0. That makes sense, I guess. Thanks for the help, no matter how stupid I look >_>

This topic is 2075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.