• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ranguna203

Side Scrolling Questions in C++

This topic is 2438 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm thinking on creating a side scrolling game.

I have read that Cave Story was programed with SDL library.

I want to create something like that a side-scrolling-shooter-kinda-game with npc interaction, colision, enemies and smooth scrolling camera.

And there are so many libraries for C++ that I don't even know which one to pick.
Any idead where to start?

Thanks for reading smile.png

Advertisement
Do you have any previous experience?

You'll need to choose an API (such as SDL or SFML) and go about learning the basics until you're able to create your game; I would suggest starting out by getting a character on screen, getting it to move based on player input, implementing basic physics, etc. If you haven't already done so before, I would recommend starting out with a Pong game, which should teach you all the basics of getting graphics on screen, taking input, game loops, etc.

If you choose SDL you could try Lazy Foo's tutorials. For SFML you could try the official tutorials and the wiki.

Alternatively, if you'd rather not go through all the programming you could try Construct 2 or Game Maker.

Hope that helps! smile.png

Do you have any previous experience?

You'll need to choose an API (such as SDL or SFML) and go about learning the basics until you're able to create your game; I would suggest starting out by getting a character on screen, getting it to move based on player input, implementing basic physics, etc. If you haven't already done so before, I would recommend starting out with a Pong game, which should teach you all the basics of getting graphics on screen, taking input, game loops, etc.

If you choose SDL you could try Lazy Foo's tutorials. For SFML you could try the official tutorials and the wiki.

Alternatively, if you'd rather not go through all the programming you could try Construct 2 or Game Maker.

Hope that helps! smile.png

Thanks I'll try Lazy Foo's tutorials.

Hehehe, I managed to get cave story's source code cool.png, looks like Pixel forgot to delete it from sourceforge tongue.png but it's not complete it's only technical stuff.
If anyone wants it feel free to ask biggrin.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!