I need a real android phone now - help

Started by
3 comments, last by mikiex 12 years ago
Ive started developing for Android recently, Ive had some good results on the emulator with openGL es. Now I want to take it more seriously plus I applied for a job as Android app tester, so I need to buy a real phone now.

I dont have much money so the candidates are:

ZTE Blade - with 2.1(Eclair)
Xperia 8 - with 1.6 or 2.1

I have no clue whether you can update the OS later or not, or how fast is this whole thing changing ....like will 2.1 be considered antique after 6 months? Will I have any serious limitations with 2.1 now that there is 3.1 and 4.0?

Thanks very much!
Advertisement
Google have some statistics on their developer pages which you may find useful.

This page shows the breakdown of Android versions being used to access Google Play.

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

You can see from this that versions 2.1 and below already only account for less than 7% of the devices in the wild.

However, the decision on which versions the app will support will be based on whoever you're going to be working for, but for new developments it makes little sense to target versions older than 2.2 as lots of performance improvements and features (such as JIT and OpenGL ES 2.0) were added in version 2.2.
2.1 is already antique. I recommend at least 2.2 as that is when they added OpenGL ES 2.0 (as previously mentioned).
Thanks a lot!

From what Ive read so far, the OS can be upgraded, but only if they make an upgrade for the given phone. And its not likely that they will make many updates for a cheap one. So my 2.1 wont become a 2.3.3:)
However there are hacked ROM-s like CyanogenMod 7, which is upgraded 2.3.3, ...but it can damage the phone if not installed properly and I can lose the warranty.
Im I right?

I could live without JIT but I need ES2.
I will continue reading...

Thanks a lot!

From what Ive read so far, the OS can be upgraded, but only if they make an upgrade for the given phone. And its not likely that they will make many updates for a cheap one. So my 2.1 wont become a 2.3.3:)
However there are hacked ROM-s like CyanogenMod 7, which is upgraded 2.3.3, ...but it can damage the phone if not installed properly and I can lose the warranty.
Im I right?

I could live without JIT but I need ES2.
I will continue reading...

I have a couple of blades and a blade2
ZTE Blade has a large community for modding, but its quite a weak phone in terms of performance. - CPU and Graphics

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement