Advice for recording OpenGL game footage for YouTube

Started by
3 comments, last by Bacterius 12 years ago
I'm trying to record some footage of my OpenGL application to upload it to YouTube. What software should I have a look at for doing this? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to codecs/encoders etc so any advice on where to start would be much appreciated. I'm looking to record at 480p.

Should I be looking at some sort of screen capture software like Cam Studio? The output from this seeks OK but the files sizes are huge.

Cheers.
Advertisement
I'm a fan of FRAPs.

It will dump a giant losslessly-compressed video to your hard drive, that then needs to be converted to a compressed codec before you upload to youtube. The advantage here is that because you perform the (very expensive) compression step as a post-process, you don't take nearly as much of a performance hit while recording.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I'm a fan of FRAPs.

It will dump a giant losslessly-compressed video to your hard drive, that then needs to be converted to a compressed codec before you upload to youtube. The advantage here is that because you perform the (very expensive) compression step as a post-process, you don't take nearly as much of a performance hit while recording.

Thanks for that, I've tried fraps and have to agree the output is great. What program do you suggest for converting to a compressed codec? I have no idea what settings etc to use and so far the resultant videos on YouTube have looked awful :(.
If you can afford it, then it might be a good idea to upload the entire FRAPS video to YouTube, and let them do the work of converting it.
If you can afford it, then it might be a good idea to upload the entire FRAPS video to YouTube, and let them do the work of converting it.[/quote]
Please don't. You're just wasting your time and everyone's bandwidth by uploading gigabytes to youtube. Besides I think there is an upload limit anyway. Just download VirtualDub, grab the XViD codec and use that (with a compression level of 1.1-1.3 it looks good and is quite small). Best thing I ever did, works perfectly.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement