• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Newbold

Where should I start?

This topic is 2439 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok i have seen a few of these and thought that this type of game developing community is one that i would love to be included in.
So anyway I am 15 and not sure what to do next with coding/game develping, I have used .vbs and made many a game in "Game Maker Pro" which is pretty easy to use. I have played around in UDK, Unity and when my laptop is up to it Cry Engine. This is all good and well but i am not sure where to start on proper creations or what to learn as a firm foundation to developing games. I would love to make a standard 2D and 3D games consisting of a RPG and FPS.

Advertisement
You should start by taking the time to read/research, and these forums should be the first place you should try. Seriously, the first page is filled with threads identical to yours. If you truly want to become a game developer, then I'd recommend researching your questions first before creating a thread.

What do you define as proper creations? Unity is perfectly acceptable for making games (and you will be able to make most games a lot more quickly by using an existing engine).

If you are looking at going into game development as a possible career path I would say start learning C# or C++ (assuming you want to get in on the programming aspect of game development). If your school has a programming course, take it. Even if it is in a different language you can still make games with it and have the benefit of a dedicated teacher to ask questions as they come up. Most concepts will also be translatable between programming languages.

I agree with nooblet. These forums are an amazing resource for learning many of the things you will need to know to start programming your own games and you should take the time to familiarize yourself with them.

That said, I would start learning with a book. The first book I ever read on the subject of game programming (or programming in general, for that matter) was "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming". It will walk you through a lot of the core concepts behind building a basic game in a console window which will be extremely helpful for you if your background in this is primarily based on GUIs and SDKs.

Hope this helps

ok thanks so much and i dont really know how to use unity but is there a list somewhere of lots of engines because I would like to try a load of them.
Runner I am getting the book now so thanks :D and i am now going to read through some of the forums .. many thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!