• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rifts

Different models with weapons/armor

This topic is 2412 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hello everyone![/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#333333]

I have a question about game development.

[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#333333]

Anyway I can't comprehend how items/armor systems work. Like say I have a few characters in my game they are slightly different sizes. Then I have lets say a helmet would I have to do the art work for every item on every character or is it possible to have one item and have it adjust to the characters size so it fits correctly?

[color=#333333]

I hope that makes sense.

[color=#333333]

Thanks

[/font]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

This is very general I have no actual game. This question can be either 2d game or 3d.

[/font]

Advertisement
Adjusting the item size via some combination of scaling and translation to fit a particular model/skeleton is technically possible. You would at the least need to provide a set of scaling and translation factors for each equipment piece for each model, assuming the fit can be accomplished with a simple transform and no kind of weird deformation. Optimally, though, you would probably want to fit the model to the skeleton in your 3D modeler, and just export sets for each skeleton. This way, you could perform scaling, transformation, and distortion as fitting the needs of your model and skeleton. For example, a piece of armor intended to be worn by an undead or an orc; the undead would be slender and long, the orc might be thick and hunchbacked. By trying to perform in-place scaling/distortion of the armor piece, you might have to do something weird or even vile with the transformation chain, whereas by performing the deformation in the modeler you just import pieces appropriate to the skeleton they're being hung upon, and don't worry about fitting the piece to the skeleton.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. So would you say it is normal practice to do it the more tedious way and create them for each model and export them out? It's tough with programming there are so many ways to accomplish something you never know if you're doing it the correct way or if there even is a correct way.

Abolish the idea of a "correct" way; that is arbitrary and difficulty to define.

The technique for fitting your armor to your characters is situationally dependent. If you have either substantially customizable player models or a large number of different player models, you will need to find a method which scales/transforms gear to fit the model. Normally, I would try to shy away from procedural modification of assets. Games are volatile enough without adding unpredictable features.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!