• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

After Accelerated C++

This topic is 2110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I started Accelerated C++ a week or so ago and I'm wanting to know where I should go after finishing this book? This is my first C++ book so far. Should I start to learn SDL? Or get another book on the C++ basics?

Advertisement
THis depends if you start programming from scratch or if you are already proficient with coding and just switch over from another language.If you're switching I recommend Bjarne Stroustrups "The C++ Programming Language" which is practically the bible of c++ (although i don't know if it covers the new c++11 standard)

If your new to programming in genereal:
I don't know Accelerated C++ in itself, but I suggest after working through this book, you get some more practice coding general stuff, before diving into a specific library like SDL. Start making small, useful programs and implement general algorithms (like the sieve of erathostenes etc.) until you get a good grip on general programming.

I know Java as well. So I should go get "The C++ Programming Language" after I finish this? So when I'm done that I would move into SDL?

I know Java as well. So I should go get "The C++ Programming Language" after I finish this? So when I'm done that I would move into SDL?

If you want to get into C++ in earnest I would recommend to get Stroustrups book. Concerning getting into SDL, what do you want to do? SDL is just a library like any other out there. It's like if I qould ask you if I should get into Swing in Java. It may be a nice libary, but If I do not want to write a GUI but a server only application it is a waste of time at that point.

Maybe you should rephrase your question to something like: "I want to write a program that does X, is SDL the right library to learn?"

Move on to another c++ book. I would pick up Professional C++ and of course Effective C++. Professional C++ will offer the basics as well as tips on how to program in the real world and Effective C++ will teach you good coding standards and some of what goes on in the background of your code. I would also pick up a book on design patterns and data structures. These will teach you more about programming in general rather than just the language. There are some books out there such as Design Patterns for Game Programmers and C++ for game programmers that are pretty good they kind of keep everything related to games.

I cant stress the importants of fully understanding design patterns and the language before going on and making games. You will become more effective when programming games and it will keep you from always searching the net or posting in forums for answers that you could have easily learned about beforehand.

Maybe you should rephrase your question to something like: "I want to write a program that does X, is SDL the right library to learn?"

What I want to do is make a pong game just to understand how it works, then I want to make a basic tower defense type game. After that I'd move on to something more complex, but one step at a time :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement