Game Architecture

Started by
4 comments, last by bd36 12 years ago
Could any one please tell me what type of architecture does games use ?? Like in a database application there is a 3-teer architecture
Advertisement
Which kind of games?

Single Player
Multiplayer
MMO Games?

Singleplayer is a Standalone application.

Multiplayer can be done P2P or with a central server.

MMO's are like typical 3 tier applications
Client with Graphics, Server with Logic and Database for saving the player states.

Follow my hobby projects:

Ognarion Commander (Java/LIBGDX): https://github.com/OlafVanSchlacht/ognarion-commander

Sir basiclly i wanted to ask there must be some rule you make a game , there is a flow you write source code so suppose i want to make a game so in what flow i must write the code ??
Maybe you're looking for info on setting up a game loop. I remember this thread from a couple weeks ago, maybe it'll help get you started.
I'm a noob myself, but I have this idea of my own that I'm trying to figure out:

1) A placeholder Title Menu (when running the app)

2) A placeholder Character Creation menu (which creates logfiles to .get and .set in-game)

3) The Main GUI Interface of the game. This gets everything it needs, when it needs it.
- GUI methods/objects
- Extends pop-up menus etc
- Extends game-mechanics superclass and subclasses
and more...

But it really depends on what type of game you want. In Myst, I'm imagining the devs made it as a bunch of gui classes just running subsequently, one after the other (with shared input listener objects and game-mechanical classes that each gui extends).

Did I make any sense whatsoever, though? I'm not sure, but I hope you got some answers. Cheers.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

But it really depends on what type of game you want. In Myst, I'm imagining the devs made it as a bunch of gui classes just running subsequently, one after the other (with shared input listener objects and game-mechanical classes that each gui extends).

Sounds like a job for a state machine. http://lazyfoo.net/articles/article06/index.php That's how I was able to change between the title screen, instructions, level selection, paused, and playing in my game. I used this article to learn the concept and then applied the logic to my game in SFML rather than SDL

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement