• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Koobazaur

Scripting System (Python vs. Lua vs ?)

This topic is 2290 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all,

So i am looking at adding a scripting system to my game, but I am a bit out of the loop. I know LUA used to be the thing, but Python has become pretty viable as well. I was thinking of LuaBind but last time I heard it wasn't actively developed anymore and had some significant performance issues. On the other hand, I hear boost::python is supposed to make integrating it fairly simple, but I haven't looked into it (personally I am not a fan of Python).

I am also thinking of a nice way of "wrapping" the script framework (whether I should have a "script" object, or just a general "ScriptsManager" which functions can be directly called to etc.) so any thoughts on that are pretty welcome too!

Advertisement
I use lua without any other libs like LuaBind, and have no trouble of integrating it into my C++ engine.

I love Lua, but the next time I will look for a scripting language with better multithreading support (if this exists at all). Thought this should not be an issue, when you are not planning to create a performance hungry game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!