How much work to make a game client like bloodline champions?

Started by
28 comments, last by Postie 12 years ago
I prefer the idea of becoming that programmer myself.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

Advertisement
Still no sources?
Even in pre-school my teacher taught me that you can't just give the answers.. You gotta show how you calculated them.
So what makes you think it's going to take at absolute minimum 3 years for an experienced programmer to make an advanced lobby client?

Word, I would also prefer that and I've tried but even learning just c++ gets out of hand when you reach the advanced stuff with multithreading and other words I can't remember anymore. And that's without even touching on WinAPI code, opengl, game engine of choice.... and then probably the worst part... networking.. and even when you know all this you still don't even know where to begin mixing multithreading with networking for multiplayer and all that nightmare stuff.

So what makes you think it's going to take at absolute minimum 3 years for an experienced programmer to make an advanced lobby client?

Define "advanced lobby client".

You gave BLC as a reference. That's a 3D game. If that's not what you meant, you need to specify it better.

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1334338904' post='4931000']

Define "advanced lobby client".

You gave BLC as a reference. That's a 3D game. If that's not what you meant, you need to specify it better.
[/quote]

Hmm.. Not sure how to explain it better than in OP.. But...
I mean EVERYTHING from logging in... buying characters choosing what game mode and entering lobby chatting with players in lobby etc... all that... BEFORE entering a match through the lobby.. so it's really got nothing to do with 3D... just the game client before entering a match where you start running around etc.
buying characters choosing what game mode[/quote]

That means there is a 3D game somewhere.

You cannot have "choosing characters" and "game mode" without having the game and gameplay itself.

You're asking for a movie trailer. Just the trailer, with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, directed by Michael Bay and set on the Moon - but without actually hiring any of these people, having a script or having a single second of footage. But it needs to be exactly like Transformers. But just the trailer - everything but the movie.

How complex is a lobby? it's about 20 lines of code. So about one hour of work, deployment and all. Of course, it will do absolutely nothing useful, nor will it have any appeal to anyone, since there won't be a game or game mode or characters - since the game doesn't exist. There also won't be any graphics, since programmers can't do them and artists don't have a concept to go from - there is no game.

Lobby is not something by itself. Lobby is a mechanism of a game.

It's possible to make a concept, a demo if you will, but there is nothing of use - you first need a game, then you can make a lobby.

[quote name='Ronnie Mado Solbakken' timestamp='1334338807' post='4930999']

Word, I would also prefer that and I've tried but even learning just c++ gets out of hand when you reach the advanced stuff with multithreading and other words I can't remember anymore. And that's without even touching on WinAPI code, opengl, game engine of choice.... and then probably the worst part... networking.. and even when you know all this you still don't even know where to begin mixing multithreading with networking for multiplayer and all that nightmare stuff.
[/quote]

Experience is the best teacher. You won't learn much by just reading the theory, you need to practice it, create problems for yourself and get the problems fixed. Then you don't have to remember as much, because your subconscious body memory remembers the stuff for you.

There's a reason why I remember how I wet my pants at the age of 4 and walking home with my legs 3 feet apart, even though it's information that I'd rather block out. biggrin.png

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

buying characters choosing what game mode

That means there is a 3D game somewhere.

You cannot have "choosing characters" and "game mode" without having the game and gameplay itself.

You're asking for a movie trailer. Just the trailer, with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, directed by Michael Bay and set on the Moon - but without actually hiring any of these people, having a script or having a single second of footage. But it needs to be exactly like Transformers. But just the trailer - everything but the movie.

How complex is a lobby? it's about 20 lines of code. So about one hour of work, deployment and all. Of course, it will do absolutely nothing useful, nor will it have any appeal to anyone, since there won't be a game or game mode or characters - since the game doesn't exist. There also won't be any graphics, since programmers can't do them and artists don't have a concept to go from - there is no game.

Lobby is not something by itself. Lobby is a mechanism of a game.

It's possible to make a concept, a demo if you will, but there is nothing of use - you first need a game, then you can make a lobby.
[/quote]

There doesn't have to be any 3d characters... and even if there was it's just a picture. Not code.
You've got absolutely no idea what I'm even talking about. At least go and look up some info about BLC if you gonna start posting in this thread.

So you're saying I can create BLC client in 20 lines of code... bullshit.
and you cant compare to movie trailers because its completely different.

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1334339141' post='4931001']
[quote name='Ronnie Mado Solbakken' timestamp='1334338807' post='4930999']

[/quote]

Experience is the best teacher. You won't learn much by just reading the theory, you need to practice it, create problems for yourself and get the problems fixed. Then you don't have to remember as much, because your subconscious body memory remembers the stuff for you.

There's a reason why I remember how I wet my pants at the age of 4 and walking home with my legs 3 feet apart, even though it's information that I'd rather block out. biggrin.png
[/quote]

So you're saying it's easy? Or whats your point? I saw you make a reply on another thread saying you're still a noob at programming.
I never said I tried learning without exercises.

It will be expensive, think something like 3 to 4 months and a nice chunk of money.

Just for the record..
Relfos is the only one that has really contributed so far with something that's reasonable and makes sense so far.
But I really hoped for a bit more info than that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement