should i be a game designer?

Started by
14 comments, last by Legendre 12 years ago
iv been trying to learn programming, but i feel like im more of a creative person. programming is alright but i just cant get thru all the boring coding! i constantly come up with ideas i wish i could bring to life is the reason i wanted to learn programming, but i just dont think its gonna work.

im stuck between a rock and a hard place here, i want to make my ideas tangible and real, but the programming eats my brain away like a cancer! what do i do?
Advertisement
Doubt you can get the ideas to come to life any more if you are just designing.

Other things to do:
- Learn computer graphics.
- Learn electronic music composing and sound effects.
- Start to use some game engine.
- Think small.

And keep that in mind: Winners never quit, quitters never win.
[size=2]Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery and everything else web.. now also trying my hand on games.
well what is a game engine i can use that needs no, or very little programming, maybe just some easy scripting...

computer graphics...hmm sounds interesting, how do i get into that?
There are probably some that require little to none scripting experience but I haven't really worked with any of these. Unity is a good 3D engine that can also do 2D games but as with any advanced piece of software, it takes some getting used to. Unity uses C# as it's scripting language. I hope someone with more engine's experience can help you more.

Unity3D homepage: http://unity3d.com
[size=2]Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery and everything else web.. now also trying my hand on games.
ok thanks. how much C# will i need to know to use unity3d???
Nothing too fancy, scripting usually isn't stuck behind programmers knowledge of the language but programmers problem solving skills. happy.png
Unity is definitely something to download and learn if you want results fast.
thanks man :) definitely look into it. i think i just wore down my enthusiasm right now, iv been googling everything from, what is .tryparse mean in C#?! to, would i need to buy a server to host a small fps game with my friends . lol... 12 AM where i live, and i felt like raging the internet and kicking my computer haha.

thanks for your input tho, very much appreciated!

iv been trying to learn programming, but i feel like im more of a creative person. programming is alright but i just cant get thru all the boring coding! i constantly come up with ideas i wish i could bring to life is the reason i wanted to learn programming, but i just dont think its gonna work.

In my humble opinion, game design and programming goes hand in hand.

Some ideas cannot be implemented or have to be modified due to programming limitations. Also, great ideas can arise from the features/limitations of the programming language.

well what is a game engine i can use that needs no, or very little programming, maybe just some easy scripting...

Flash/Actionscript! I started with that. It is very very easy, and there are lots of tutorials on the internet, AND you can always ask on flash game portals like Newgrounds for help if you get stuck.
Have more patience bro.
You decided last week which language you are going to learn.
Give it some more time.
XNA and C# is one of the easiest ways to create games for beginners.

Maybe it's just a phase of self-doubts/overload/hate for all and everyone and it will go away.(every programmer goes through it from time to time >:<)

However, AS3 is the easiest way to go. (if flashgames are okay for you).
If you're going to do anything serious in life, there's always going to be boring work most of the time. Even P. Diddy needs to do paperwork. But there are many ways to make the work a lot more fun by putting it within fun contexts. Console programming (the window, not the XBOX lol) can be really fun if you do it with fun information, like trying to learn how to make Arrays with Pokemons and print it out on-screen.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement