• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx problem

This topic is 2139 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

EDIT: Using D3DXCreateTextureFromFile isntead of D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx works fine, the texture is a 64x64 rbga png

EDIT: It appears the cause of the problem is if I pass a PALETTEENTRY to be filled. If I leave that field NULL I get no memory problems... Also whether I leave that field null or not the texture always loads and is visible when drawn.

EDIT: SOLVED - Didn't realise... my PALETTEENTRY m_oTexturePalette needed to be m_oTexturePalette[256]. Misinterpreted the description.

Having problems where calling D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx is causing memory problems.

.h

class Texture
{
public:
Texture();
~Texture();

bool Initialize(IDirect3DDevice9* a_poIDirect3DDevice9, const char* a_pcFileName);

protected:
char* m_pcFileName;

IDirect3DTexture9* m_poTexture;

D3DXIMAGE_INFO m_oImageInfo;
PALETTEENTRY m_oTexturePalette;
};

.cpp

Texture::Texture()
{
m_pcFileName = 0;

m_poTexture = 0;

ZeroMemory(&m_oImageInfo, sizeof(m_oImageInfo));
ZeroMemory(&m_oTexturePalette, sizeof(m_oTexturePalette));
}

Texture::~Texture()
{
if (m_pcFileName)
{
delete [] m_pcFileName;
m_pcFileName = 0;
}

if (m_poTexture)
{
m_poTexture->Release();

m_poTexture = 0;
}
}

bool Texture::Initialize(IDirect3DDevice9* a_poIDirect3DDevice9, const char* a_pcFileName)
{
if (!m_poTexture)
{
m_pcFileName = new char[strlen(a_pcFileName) + 1];

strcpy(m_pcFileName, a_pcFileName);

HRESULT HResult = D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx( a_poIDirect3DDevice9, m_pcFileName, D3DX_DEFAULT, D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_DEFAULT, 0, D3DFMT_UNKNOWN, D3DPOOL_MANAGED,
D3DX_DEFAULT, D3DX_DEFAULT, 0,
&m_oImageInfo, &m_oTexturePalette, &m_poTexture);

if (FAILED(HResult))
{
return 0;
}

return 1;
}
else
{
return 0;
}
}

After calling "D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx" (which returns a hresult of S_OK), m_pcFileName immediately turns to gibberish (as if the memory has been released).

Coming up too "if (m_pcFileName)" in the deconstructor, it returns true as the pointer is not set to null (should still point to a valid block of memory ><. So calling a delete again breaks my program.

Secondly, if I replace the current deconstructor with:

Texture::~Texture()
{
//if (m_pcFileName)
//{
//delete [] m_pcFileName;
// m_pcFileName = 0;
//}

if (m_poTexture)
{
m_poTexture->Release();

m_poTexture = 0;
}
}

I get a corruption of the heap error as the program exists the deconstructor.
m_poTexture->Release(); is called fine.

Advertisement
Why are you messing around with raw character array strings instead of using a string class? Why are you even storing the texture file name in that class to begin with?

No real reason why I'm using a character array over a string other than I'm not familiar with using the string yet (though I'm sure it's not difficulty..).
The texture is stored in a texture manager so when something requests a texture to be loaded it first checks to see if the texture is already loaded by strcmp'n the target filename/stored filenames.

Either using char arrays or storing the filename likely to cause this problem I'm having? :/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement