• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Any freeglut tutorials for Windows users?

This topic is 2102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm starting OpenGL and freeglut development after being with SDL for a while. After googling for a few days, I still can't find anything about how to install freeglut or any tutorials on how to actually use the library.

Can I use GLUT tutorials, or is all of GLUT depreciated? How much different is freeglut from GLUT?

Advertisement
You can just look up glut tutorials, it doesn't have to have to be "freeglut" tutorials, since both use the same function names.
http://freeglut.sour...et/docs/api.php

Start here:
http://www.videotutorialsrock.com/

After you learned that learn some Win32 from NeHe. It may seem over whelming at first, but just study each line of code and see what everything does by fallowing he's tutorials and before you know it you could be designing a level editor for your game.

I'm starting OpenGL and freeglut development after being with SDL for a while. After googling for a few days, I still can't find anything about how to install freeglut or any tutorials on how to actually use the library.

Can I use GLUT tutorials, or is all of GLUT depreciated? How much different is freeglut from GLUT?

They are pretty much indentical, neither is , in my opinion suitable for games though, (GLUT was written to support the examples in the OpenGL redbook and freeglut is pretty much only a glut replacement and suffers from the same inflexibility).

SDL1.3 , SFML or GLFW are all better options if you want OpenGL3.x/4.x support , SDL 1.2 is fine for OpenGL 2.x and lower.

I'd also avoid the tutorials at videotutorialsrock.com, they are insanely outdated and there are plenty of better ones out there. (If a tutorial uses glVertex calls it is effectivly teaching OpenGL 1.0 and immediate mode Which is deprecated (and thus no longer available) in the later versions of the API.

Good point. I agree with SimonForsman, just stick with SDL, or go with SFML or GLFW.

Go with the better/newer libraries that are still alive. I only used freeGLUT for demo or testing reasons for it's built in menu UI, but you can pretty much accomplish the same results in SDL or in other libraries with more coding. I then switched to Win32, since I could add more windows and have flexibility of the UI, but then switched my code to wxWidgets for portability to get my program to Mac OS X. I wouldn't recommend wxWidgets for games, just a FYI.

The person who's building my engine base is using GLUT and is switching over to freeglut, so I don't have much of a choice. I use SDL currently, so I'll try to talk to him and figure out why he uses freeglut.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement