Programming language for Castlevania inspired 2D game

Started by
2 comments, last by dskzero 12 years ago
Hi guys! I've been lurking on and off for awhile in this forum. I've been thinking of making a game for awhile, and actually started some work with some applications, such as Game Maker and Multimedia Fusion, however, I'm not really satisfied,though admitedly I haven't really spent that much time on them. I have a hundred of ideas, though many probably are not all that viable, because of my lack of experience.

I've decided to go the other way instead.I'm a professional programmer (with zero experience in "graphic" applications, since I work in the logical part of the software), so picking up any language isn't really a problem - actually, the sprites and the graphical work is the thing that worries me, but help can be found and skills can be picked up - so I want to build the engine instead and see where it goes from it. I'm writing the design document, so I'm looking for a language that's solid enough for me to code.

After looking around, most people go for particular languages and frameworks, namely Love, XNA and others. I'm not really liking XNA and its requeriments, so that probably leaves C# out of the question. Java is probably also a bad idea, given all the memory management problems.The game isn't really all that sophisticated, so the applications I mentioned early might be good enough, however, you, experienced game programmers, what language is adequated for a 2D "metroidvania" game?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
You could still go with C# and use either Mono+OpenTK for multi-platform approach or C# and SlimDX for Windows platform. Other choice would obviously be C++ and start from as low as you dare, huge amount of libraries around to ease the work. Going with the latter has the adventage of having complete documentations and resources available.

What languages do you use at work?
[size=2]Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery and everything else web.. now also trying my hand on games.
assembly language!

Seriously though, I would go with C# & XNA its easy to pick up and you can have a prototype running pretty quickly.

Brendon Glanzer

You could still go with C# and use either Mono+OpenTK for multi-platform approach or C# and SlimDX for Windows platform. Other choice would obviously be C++ and start from as low as you dare, huge amount of libraries around to ease the work. Going with the latter has the adventage of having complete documentations and resources available.

What languages do you use at work?

Java, a bit of AS400 and ABAP. Getting away from Visual Studio looks like a good idea!

assembly language!

Seriously though, I would go with C# & XNA its easy to pick up and you can have a prototype running pretty quickly.

Might go for it then! However the idea of working with C++ seems also attractive.

Thanks a lot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement