• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
robert_loxy

UDK or CE3

This topic is 2314 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently looking into 2 game engines for use in a game that i am planning on making

- UDK
- CryEngine 3

I am looking for some advice on what engine to use? Due to the fact that i do not have access to both engines.

Advertisement
I've only had experience with UDK, but a quick look over.
UDK less source flexibility, more forgiving licensing
CE3 more source flexibility, horrible licence.
UDK you have a good while of making your own money for your works, then when you have the money to spare your sharing revenue with them
CE3 from release your giving them I think its 20% of all revenue.
Unity is another good one worth looking at, only downside is until you get pro you have little flexibility on graphics, but its so easy to use and user friendly, if I were forced to choose I wouldn't mind going with stylized graphics and using unity. From what I gathered UDK and unity have a similar license but you'll have to look into that yourself.
there are of course many other solutions, one for example, is making your own engine, this doesn't have to be as tasking as making every little thing, you could take an open source Graphics engine (just for example, Ogre 3D (though I think it needs some work you have the flexibility to improve it)) and physics engine (Havok or Bullet physics are good choices) and then simply tying them together with your own logic (which would be all you'd need to do to get total flexibility and little financial limitations)
OR if you do a little more research there are tones of open source engines of fairly good quality with tools and editors and much more freedom than UDK and CE3 or even unity.

Don't stick it down to just UDK and CE3 until you've seen all the other options available, you may find a little golden ticket in there somewhere.

In the choice between them the quality of your textures, models and shaders will have more effect on the quality of your graphics than the engine you pick.

What are you going for, how big is your team, what are your goals?

For a very small team I might suggest looking at Unity Pro. It's surprisingly flexible and scalable, an excellent engine for smaller projects that might not be the very large triple A kind of games. It also has some of the most friendly looking tools around, I still get annoyed by all of cluttered sliders and values Cryengine 3 has when I'm screwing around with it.

That being said both Cryengine 3 and Unreal 3 have been deployed for mobile games and other such things as well. And both will offer more graphical prowess than Unity.

Cryengine is definitely the choice of the two you already mentioned if the game is going to have a lot of moving geometry and etc. A lot of UDK graphical shine comes from relying on mostly static environments, Cryengine is set up for a much more dynamic type of game. Of the two Cryengine could also well be the more updated of the two in the future, with Unreal Engine "4" starting to be sold Epic might be switching most, if not all, of their development to that. And I don't know what kind of license changeover from UDK users they'll be supporting, or how well the code can be ported from 3 to 4. By the accounts I've heard of their demo at GDC I'd suspect "not that well" is the answer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!