• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zaneski13

sampler2D vertex shader. work on older computers?

This topic is 2256 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, so I need to access a texture in my vertex shader, but I want the game to run on cards that only support shader model 2. Anyone know if acessing a texture in a vertex shader crashes on old cards? also is there a website that shows the limitations of shader models. like what they support and dont support? Thanks.

Advertisement
It may or may not crash, but it shouldn't be available on SM2 hardware.

Direct3D Shader Models don't quite map directly to GLSL versions by the way, but they are good enough for a general guideline nonetheless. The best reference for these is probably the DirectX SDK or the online version at MSDN - so long as you bear in mind that it's a Direct3D Shader Model and therefore GLSL is going to exhibit some subtle (or not-so-subtle) differences. For pure GLSL the best reference would be the specs at OpenGL.org.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!