sampler2D vertex shader. work on older computers?

Started by
1 comment, last by peous 12 years ago
Ok, so I need to access a texture in my vertex shader, but I want the game to run on cards that only support shader model 2. Anyone know if acessing a texture in a vertex shader crashes on old cards? also is there a website that shows the limitations of shader models. like what they support and dont support? Thanks.
Advertisement
It may or may not crash, but it shouldn't be available on SM2 hardware.

Direct3D Shader Models don't quite map directly to GLSL versions by the way, but they are good enough for a general guideline nonetheless. The best reference for these is probably the DirectX SDK or the online version at MSDN - so long as you bear in mind that it's a Direct3D Shader Model and therefore GLSL is going to exhibit some subtle (or not-so-subtle) differences. For pure GLSL the best reference would be the specs at OpenGL.org.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I think it's shader model 3 that unifies use of textures in pixel and vertex shaders.

You can also see user's shader models here (it's Unity users but it's a really good information source)
http://unity3d.com/webplayer/hwstats/pages/web-2012Q1-shader.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement