• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

2D Tile map - SpriteBatch or Quads

This topic is 2223 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All,

First of all, Hi smile.png I'm new to this forum and am hoping you can help me!

I am trying my hand at developing a simple 2D Isometric (well, not quite) tile engine in C# (XNA) similar in style to that used for Ultima online.

I have been reading this article http://www.oocities..../doc/index.html ([font=Arial,Helvetica]2.2 The Stretch-O-Tilt Algorithm) [/font]explaining how the tiles are 'stretched' in UO to achieve terrain height, and am wondering how best to achieve this in XNA.

Would it be better to approach this using SpriteBatch or textured quads?
If textured quads are the way to go, am I in effect creating a 3D tilemap but at a fixed viewpoint? Or can textured quads be used in a purely 2d manner?

EDIT:
Forgot to add, if I need to use textured quads, can someone help me with choosing the correct perspective?
The tiles will be stored as diamonds (44x44bits) as they would be if using a standard 2d not-quite-isometric engine, so I don't think ill need to rotate the camera? Just tilt it and choose the correct field of view. Is this correct? I am having great difficult setting the camera up :P

Hope you can help.

Thanks,
Alec

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!