• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Telanor

Artifacts in image that dont appear when using reference device

This topic is 2356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive been having a problem with a sort of white halo showing up around the blocks in my XNA game. When I debugged it in pix, I noticed that it seems to occur in the directional light shader and that it doesnt happen when I set pix to "Force REF". I've attached images of what it looks like in pix on both "Unchanged" and "Force REF" mode. What would cause this kind of thing?

Unchanged:
[attachment=8351:normal.png]

Force REF:
[attachment=8352:ref.png]

Advertisement
And what is the surface format of the depth buffer and how do you store the depth information?

You could suffer a lack of precision in the depth buffer.

These are the render targets used by the deferred renderer:

colorRT = new RenderTarget2D(Engine.Game.GraphicsDevice, backbufferWidth, backbufferHeight, false, SurfaceFormat.Color, DepthFormat.Depth24);
normalRT = new RenderTarget2D(Engine.Game.GraphicsDevice, backbufferWidth, backbufferHeight, false, SurfaceFormat.Color, DepthFormat.None);
depthRT = new RenderTarget2D(Engine.Game.GraphicsDevice, backbufferWidth, backbufferHeight, false, SurfaceFormat.Single, DepthFormat.None);
lightRT = new RenderTarget2D(Engine.Game.GraphicsDevice, backbufferWidth, backbufferHeight, false, SurfaceFormat.Color, DepthFormat.None);
finalRT = new RenderTarget2D(Engine.Game.GraphicsDevice, backbufferWidth, backbufferHeight, false, SurfaceFormat.Color, DepthFormat.None);

In the GBuffer vertex shader I have output.Depth = output.Position.zw; and in the pixel shader I have output.Depth = input.Depth.x / input.Depth.y

It's really strange. unsure.png

First I think in MSAA because deferred renderers and MSAA don’t work well together, since different fragments will use the same illumination information.

Then I think that the GPU depth buffer could has little differences with your depth buffer. But it looks ok.

I don't know. wacko.png

I was looking through pix again and I noticed a line that said SetRenderState(D3DRS_MULTISAMPLEANTIALIAS, TRUE). So it looks like MSAA is on. I have no idea whats turning it on though. When the graphics device is created, I explicitly turned it off. I checked all the render targets, none of them turn it on either. Ideas? Edited by Telanor

Yes. Set multisampling in the method Graphics_PreparingDeviceSettings

private static void Graphics_PreparingDeviceSettings(object sender, PreparingDeviceSettingsEventArgs e)
{
Device.PresentationParameters.MultiSampleCount = 0;
}

When you don't explicitly set multisampling the render target constructor uses the system value. And the correct place to setting the multisampling count is this method.

Hmm, that didn't work. I should note that the SetRenderState line I noticed occurs RIGHT before the directional light shader starts rendering. It seems like a shader/render target specific setting, but I can't find anything in the code that might be enabling it.

Game constructor:

public Craft()
{
Game = this;

Graphics = new GraphicsDeviceManager(this)
{
PreferredBackBufferWidth = 1280,
PreferredBackBufferHeight = 720,
SynchronizeWithVerticalRetrace = false,
PreferMultiSampling = false,
IsFullScreen = false
};

Graphics.PreparingDeviceSettings += graphics_PreparingDeviceSettings;
Content.RootDirectory = "Content";

IsFixedTimeStep = false;
//this.Window.AllowUserResizing = true;
//this.IsMouseVisible = true;
}

void graphics_PreparingDeviceSettings(object sender, PreparingDeviceSettingsEventArgs e)
{
foreach(GraphicsAdapter adapter in GraphicsAdapter.Adapters)
{
if(adapter.Description.Contains("PerfHUD"))
{
e.GraphicsDeviceInformation.Adapter = adapter;
GraphicsAdapter.UseReferenceDevice = true; // this is the modified line from usage in previous xna version
break;
}
}

e.GraphicsDeviceInformation.PresentationParameters.MultiSampleCount = 0;
}

And heres a snippit of the directional light render code path:

class DeferredRenderer
{
private void DrawLights()
{
Engine.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.SetRenderTarget(lightRT);
Engine.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.Transparent);
Engine.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.BlendState = BlendState.AlphaBlend;
Engine.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.DepthStencilState = DepthStencilState.None;

DirectionalLight.Draw();
PointLight.Draw();

Engine.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.BlendState = BlendState.Opaque;
Engine.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.DepthStencilState = DepthStencilState.Default;
Engine.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.RasterizerState = RasterizerState.CullCounterClockwise;
Engine.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.SetRenderTarget(null);
}
}

class DirectionalLight
{
private void DrawDirectionalLight()
{
directionalLightEffect.Parameters["ColorMap"].SetValue(DeferredRenderer.ColorRT);
directionalLightEffect.Parameters["NormalMap"].SetValue(DeferredRenderer.NormalRT);
directionalLightEffect.Parameters["DepthMap"].SetValue(DeferredRenderer.DepthRT);

directionalLightEffect.Parameters["LightDirection"].SetValue(LightDirection);

directionalLightEffect.Parameters["DiffuseLightColor"].SetValue(DiffuseColor);
directionalLightEffect.Parameters["AmbientLightColor"].SetValue(AmbientColor);

directionalLightEffect.Parameters["AmbientIntensity"].SetValue(AmbientIntensity);
directionalLightEffect.Parameters["DiffuseIntensity"].SetValue(DiffuseIntensity);

directionalLightEffect.Parameters["SpecularPower"].SetValue(SpecularPower);
directionalLightEffect.Parameters["SpecularIntensity"].SetValue(SpecularIntensity);

directionalLightEffect.Parameters["CameraPosition"].SetValue(Camera.Position);
directionalLightEffect.Parameters["InvertViewProjection"].SetValue(Matrix.Invert(Camera.View * Camera.Projection));

directionalLightEffect.Techniques[0].Passes[0].Apply();
DeferredRenderer.FullScreenQuad.Draw();
}

public static void Draw()
{
foreach(DirectionalLight light in lights)
{
light.DrawDirectionalLight();
}
}
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!