Some advice for a web dev interested in game dev

Started by
1 comment, last by Dariune 11 years, 12 months ago
Hi all

I have been developing online apps and websites for a few years and would like to turn my hand to game making.

My goal would be to be able to create Web based games and hand held device games but for now i would be happy to just learn the basics.

Im already proficient with HTML, CSS, Javascript, SQL (My and MS), Classic ASP (VBScript), ASP.NET Webforms (C#) and i know a bit about ASP.NET MVC3, Razor and LINQ.

Where would you advise me to go to start my learning on game dev. I was thinking about having a play with HTML5 games but if you guys think there is a better place to start then i am all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help (Im sure you get this question all the time)
Advertisement
Your C# experience will transfer over well. So will a few other things that might surprise you, like the MVC pattern. Coding is coding, so you will find game programming really isn't all that different.

As to the actual technical aspects of game development, this guide should get you started. It covers the most common languages, and the most popular gaming libraries for each, as well as tutorial/book/tool recommendations and links.
Hey

Thanks Seraph. Thats a great article.

Looks like C# is the way to go. I love the anti C++ aproach. Not that i intended to go down that route.

Thanks again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement