How do I make a 2.5D facebook mmorpg

Started by
4 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 11 years, 12 months ago
I came up with a video game idea. I'm sure that I could wrangle up a few software developers once I get the ball rolling and coincidentally I've learned some SQL, 3ds max, but mainly Maya along the way. As far as programming goes I'm almost completely ignorant and I won't know c++ until as late as possibly a week after finals. I'm learning c++ off of wibit.net now after going watching the previous videos. I want to know what I need to know and what the best way to learn how to make a complete 2.5d mmorpg, and what objects I will need, along with tutorials on how to use them. Any information is very welcome.
Advertisement
If you're at the stage where your questions have as broad a scope as this, the answer for the foreseeable future is "you don't". You're also likely to struggle to attract competent developers without a project developed well past just being 'an idea' and/or enough capital to pay salaries. Learn to program, enjoy writing other games. Don't burn your dream if you don't want to, but understand that your question is not entirely dissimilar to asking "How do I build a cruise ship? I've learned some AutoCAD and I'm working through an introductory engineering textbook."
[TheUnbeliever]
You need to know Flash for the game, HTML5/JavaScript/CSS for integration with the Facebook API, probably LAMP stack for the server and ability to administer one of server platforms, such as Amazon's S3, Heroku (if using Ruby or node.js), Rackspace/Linod/anything or whatever you choose for hosting.

C++ will be of no use anywhere.

Also have $500 or so saved for each month of operation, hosting costs can quickly jump up, it's not uncommon for people to be hit with several $1000 bill at the end of month.
Hey paputsza, I noticed that you said you're new to C++, we've got a group that is learning C++ because we can support each other, and please check your messages for more info, anyone else that's interested can go ahead and message me
Even so, my hands will bring relief to people who have learned to live without hope. A human being who feeds on his brother is not a man anymore. He is a mad dog... and should be dealt the same fate.
I'm using wibit.net. The website made me learn somewhat learn c first, but it only took a week. I've redirrected myself into trying to learn php and relearning mysql from lynda and it is taking forever because most of their videos waste time. For some weird reason pay websites like to have long videos, like they're proud of taking 24 hours what can be taught in ten or something. It would be easier to read a book.
Let me use myself as an example. I'm planning to design a top-level game that I call Crude, but all I have now is the idea inside my head (plus some amateur videos on youtube and a virgin blogsite), so here's what I need to do:

1. Learn Java (to create a game prequel to start things off)
2. Learn more HTML etc to create a proper website to share the game writing with people.
3. Learn C++ (etc) and get a Bachelor's Degree in Programming so I can land an actual job somewhere.
4. Provide my employing team with solid work, which can help me get a name for myself.
5. Specialize in Game Writing (and learn more about this).
6. Finish developing the prequel and launch it online on my website.
7. Get some sort of capital going, rise in ranks at my workplace.
8. Try to get some business model that supports at least 1-2 people - webmaster and co-programmer.
9. Improve the "Crude Prequel" game and add tons of new gameplay to attract more player and a better economy.
10. START developing Crude (probably at least 5 years from now).
11. Release a solid Crude about 2-3 years after that (dev time greatly reduced due to my vast preliminary work started this year, in 2012 - For instance, the game will feature a number of books - elder scrolls style - that I will have spent the next 5-6 years writing)

---------------

My point is that you need to take things step by step, and I highly doubt that you learned the entire C language in just one week - especially considering all the coding that it takes to make a language stick. But if you did, then great for you. Just whatever you do, don't give up.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement