OpenAL for noobs

Started by
2 comments, last by medevilenemy 12 years ago
Hello,

I will begin by saying I don't want to use sdl or sfml. I just want to know if there are any issues with setting up the openAL sdk library on windows 7 and vs2010. when trying to set up the library all i get is an executable that installs very quickly with no signs of doing anything. there is not include files, no libs, no dlls, no headers. Just a lonley executable that does not seem to work because when i try to used the headers such as

#include <al.h>
#include <alc.h>

i get LNK2019 errors all over the place. any ideas if there is a more updated sdk to download for OpenAL
J-GREEN

Greenpanoply
Advertisement
using OpenAL requires more than just #including a couple headers. You need to link against OpenAL32.lib. You also need to do various things to load and play audio files of the desired type.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
That is obvious. what i am trying to figure out is where are the build files so i can even begin the process of doing just that. All they give you is an executable. where are all the other required things one needs to make that damn thing work?
J-GREEN

Greenpanoply
Grab the OpenAL Core SDK from http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx. It should let you install to an arbitrary location, from which you can grab whatever you need.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement