• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pressgreen

c++ Sound libaries

This topic is 2342 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Other then openAL, SDL, and SFML are there any other sound libraries that are portable and easy to use. free and available for commercial potentially?

I am using c++ and vs 2010

Thanks

Advertisement
Fmod is certainly the *biggest*, although the API can be a bit convoluted at times.

There is also wwise.

Both FMod and wwise require a commercial license for non free products though.

Only other library coming to mind is BASS, although I am sure there are a ton of others.

Other then openAL, SDL, and SFML...

On a more technical note, SFML uses OpenAL.

There's also irrKlang and Clam.

I've only used Fmod, so I can't comment on the others. I really liked Fmod.

can i ask what you used Fmod for? it seems quite expensive if one was to sell something made with Fmod.

I've never released a commercial game, so I didn't have to pay for a license (I've just done hobby games). If you want to make a commercial game but really don't want to worry about licensing fees, you can use OpenAL for free (earlier version, not later). irrKlang is also quite reasonably priced, especially if it's just you developing a commercial game.

yeah I went with irrKlang. super easy to install and I already got it working. plus the commercial cost is not that bad. thanks a bunch :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!