c++ Sound libaries

Started by
5 comments, last by pressgreen 12 years ago
Other then openAL, SDL, and SFML are there any other sound libraries that are portable and easy to use. free and available for commercial potentially?

I am using c++ and vs 2010

Thanks
J-GREEN

Greenpanoply
Advertisement
Fmod is certainly the *biggest*, although the API can be a bit convoluted at times.

There is also wwise.

Both FMod and wwise require a commercial license for non free products though.

Only other library coming to mind is BASS, although I am sure there are a ton of others.

Other then openAL, SDL, and SFML...

On a more technical note, SFML uses OpenAL.

There's also irrKlang and Clam.

I've only used Fmod, so I can't comment on the others. I really liked Fmod.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
I am going to try this Fmod. thanks ill let you know how it goes
J-GREEN

Greenpanoply
can i ask what you used Fmod for? it seems quite expensive if one was to sell something made with Fmod.
J-GREEN

Greenpanoply

can i ask what you used Fmod for? it seems quite expensive if one was to sell something made with Fmod.

I've never released a commercial game, so I didn't have to pay for a license (I've just done hobby games). If you want to make a commercial game but really don't want to worry about licensing fees, you can use OpenAL for free (earlier version, not later). irrKlang is also quite reasonably priced, especially if it's just you developing a commercial game.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
yeah I went with irrKlang. super easy to install and I already got it working. plus the commercial cost is not that bad. thanks a bunch :)
J-GREEN

Greenpanoply

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement