Sign in to follow this  
iOBV

I want to make a 2.5D Shooter

Hello,

I am new to game programming I have little to no programming experince. I would really like to learn how to make games; the thought of someone playing something I made is exciting. I know what it takes to make a game and I am not looking to create a game and be at the top of the charts. Now my question is, what language would you recomend for a new game developer.

Another question is should I use a game engine or just a library. I want to really understand what is happening in my game and from my understanding when you have a game engine you don't really understand your game as well.

Also I am 14 years old, so please no commerical software as my game will most likely travel no farther then a few of my friends computers.

I would like to mention I know the basics of programming in general. I know what varibles, booleans, strings and that type of stuff are.

Thanks,
Tyler

If you're asking what language a new game developer should use, I would reply "whatever language it is you already have experience in," seeing as you say you are already familiar with some programming data types and other programming aspects.

What language is that, by the way?

Given the thread title i'd strongly recommend Unity3D, it is fairly easy to get started with and advanced enough to allow you to do pretty much anything. (The free version has some limitations but its nothing you'll have to worry about at this point).

If you really don't want to use an engine i'd suggest that you forget about the 2.5D shooter for now and start with something like Pong instead, (It is a good game to start with even if you are using an engine as it covers most of the basics and can be completed in an hour or two)

It depends on what you mean by "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)] I want to really understand what is happening in my game". Really though the question is do you want to make games, or do you want to make engines. If your primary goal is to make games, then chose an engine. If you want to work on engines, then yeah pick a library.[/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]I strongly recommend Unity as an engine. It saves you a ton of time and you can focus on making the game more fun. Note that having an engine still means you will program a lot, so don't worry about not getting to do enough programming. You will focus more on implementing game mechanics and logic, rather then writing your own texture loader, or map editor, or whatever.[/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]If you do want to use a library, for 2d I like SFML with C++. It will take you a lot longer to get things done, but it still works fine.[/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]

Hi,

If you are going to use Unity, you would need some 3D modelling software.

Since you are not going to spend a whole lot of money, I would recommend you to use Blender 3D.

This is a free software and there are some really good video tutorials online.

Also, the best thing about unity is the community and the tutorial built to help beginners.

Be sure to go through those instead of crash and burn and try to test out everything out yourself.