Sign in to follow this  
Legendre

Websocket/Socket.io vs AJAX-Push (CometD, APE etc)

I have been making a two players modified chess game on and off as a hobby for a while now, and learned some HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, MySQL, AJAX along the way. So far I have wrote a login page, an javascript "engine" to draw and move the chessboard + pieces using the HTML5 Canvas element, and a primitive chat system that uses XMLHttpRequest to update the chat every few seconds.

Now comes the multi-player: Players can move their pieces in real time. So, I need the moves of one player to be "near-instantly" displayed on the browser of the other. I suppose I will need to use one of the two options:

1) HTML5 Websockets via Socket.io
2) AJAX-Push, probably via APE or CometD

I am tempted to go with Socket.io simply because it has been so hyped for developing browser games. But I read that there are cases where Comet (AJAX-Push) is actually a better option?

I have decided to go for AJAX Push because it has been around longer, and there are more resources/tutorials for it.

Fiddled around with Socket.io and Node.js for a while, and read somewhere that probably only 5-20 people completed games using socket.io and node.js lol. I understand there are open source socket.io game codes out there (e.g. browser quest) but the lack of tutorials and help is troubling.