Can someone PLEASE test my game?

Started by
15 comments, last by BenjaminSergent 11 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys,

It's not a real game yet, so just run around and explore, comment on controls and usability. Try to break it, and it probably will - I'm a long way from the end:)

Much appreciated!
Advertisement
Still installing....

Firstly, I am not a fan of anything that has to download half a gig of pre-requises.

Once that it done though, I'll give it a try and let you know. :)
Really? I had no idea you would need ANYTHING extra.
I published it using these instructions and it says the requirements are:
Must be running, at minimum, Windows XP Service Pack 2.
Must have a video card that supports, at minimum, Shader Model 1.1.

What exactly are you downloading?
Not too bad for a start. smile.png

Camera seems a bit low to the ground (feels like about knee height). Think about the height of the door for instance. A normal door would be around 2 metres high - so the camera should be around the 1.7 metre mark for eye level of an average/tall person.

The field of view might be a bit narrow too. How many degrees FOV do you have set for the camera? I normally use 60 degrees. The current field of view feels very straining on the eyes. I know I wouldn't be able to play it for long this way as motion sickness would set in pretty quick (for me anyway).

Also, all of the doors are pivoting at the centre (you probably know this allready - if you don't, it may be a bug).

So, there is my input. Please reagard this as completely constructive smile.png as you have gotten your project to a point futher than I have ever persisted with mine.

Keep up the great work!
Hi Ole_92,

It was the Client Framework for the C# component. You would not have been affected as you have the prerequisites on your dev machine.

It installed as part of your installer. It wasn't in anyway intrusive, but added substantially to the install time.

--edit--

actually the above link you posted even mentions the pre-requisites

The .NET Framework 4.0 Redistributable.
The XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0.[/quote]
Hi Lonewolff,

First of all, thank you so much for your comments! Especially about the field of view - I've changed it to 60 degrees and it's SO MUCH better now!
I will have a menu where a user can set up their own graphics settings.

Everything else - yes, I'm aware of, it will all get fixed before the next update.
Good point about camera height!

Hmm, I guess that my game does need extra downloads (unfortunately). Sorry about that.
Did you have to get both of the ones you have listed?
It did it automatically so it wasn't that bad.

I would be interested in seeing how it now looks with 60 degree FOV.

BTW what was the FOV previously?
Well maybe it's not that much better, but it still lets you see more things!
I also tried Pi/2, which is 90 degrees. and it looks really cool! Would be good for scary scenes (I'm making a horror game).

The one I'm attaching here is 60 degrees FOV (was 45 before).
Good work... what engine are you using for this? Sunburn, or your own thing?

It was very hard to get the key under the bed (either it was obscured by the bed or I was too far away to grab it - there was a very narrow section where I could grab it)

I can't figure out how to use the key.
Oh, I still haven't done that yet - it will most likely unlock a locked door from inside.
Yep, I will move the key closer to the edge of the bed. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm using Bepu physics engine, and I'm quite happy about it!

Even though I run into the problems very often, I wasn't stuck on anything longer than a couple of days..

Their forums are very helpful, there's an administrator there, "Norbo", he always replies quickly and informatively, without doing any work for you (which is just what I need!)
I highly recommend it if you're after a physics engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement