Sign in to follow this  
FireSickle

RPG Dialouge System Questions

I am having some trouble deciding how to design a Dialouge system for an RPG engine I am building. I have been trolling google the last few nights and have read many articles and websites that chronicle other designers' methods for these systems. Nothing I have seen was technical enough to help me grasp how I should do this inside my own engine.

Almost everything I have read so far says that all of my Dialog options should be lumped together into 1 place and use Unique IDs to recall the text of dialog and to handle the path of what dialog and options are displayed next. This makes a lot of sense but I don't know exactly how/where to store these dialog options.

One thread I read said I should use a Database to store all of my Dialouge options. Someone suggested SQL Server as the best Database option... I don't want my single player game to require either internet access or a local installation of SQL Server... An access database could work, but It makes me cringe even considering that as an option.

My game's level designer is a third party application I wrote with Windows Forms. It can access the project files for my game, so I won't have a problem making changes to a local file. I want the level designer to be able to add, edit, and remove dialog text.

I am OK with putting everything into a Text or XML file if that is appropriate, but frankly, I've never programmed something like this before so I am hoping other GameDevvers have some ideas, suggestions, or experiences to share to help me find the right option for my project.

Thank you for your time :-)

SQLite works is what you need for embed sql.

you may also use a scripting language. lua is a popular choice.

but i would choose xml. simple and very maintainable.
you dont need an editor application if you choose xml since it will be human readable.

I think the point of the editor application would be so you can edit everything in one place, as opposed to edit the talking.xml file, the monsterdata.xml file, the ....xml file and so on.
I personally don't like XML, too much extra fluff that I find annoying. However, that is my personal opinion.
I would recommend it if you don't want to make some form of proprietary format.
JSON is another possible option, you should be able to find readers/writers for virtually any common language out there.

[quote name='Programmdude' timestamp='1335426067' post='4934987']
JSON is another possible option, you should be able to find readers/writers for virtually any common language out there.
[/quote]

Thank you both.