Interface design.......

Started by
2 comments, last by JoJoSim1 11 years, 12 months ago
How do you make a complex interface without cluttering everything.

I figure you turn the opacity down unless something's active to help.

But targeting, I have an attack button, which automatically targets the nearest enemy. But what if I want to select another enemy. I have to add another button.

I have 4 spell buttons, a potion button, a bandage button, and a main menu button along with the dual touchpads.

Anyone have any more creative way to do what I'm doing in this image?

I was considering turning opacity down and maybe add a sliding mechanism to hide the potion/bandage that pops out when you touch it's tab?

Anyone have any names of games that had a lot going on that was well managed for mobile?
Advertisement
Is it possible to click directly on a enemy? I mean why do you want to do it indirect?
Tapping direct at the aim is more intuitive and less frustrating since you just need one click and not several. In technical terms your enemies could carry a invisible button. We recognized the less buttons the better especially for mobile / touch devices.
Make use of gestures of course it has to fit into your game. Ask yourself if you really need a button.
For example a side scroller could use buttons for left right top down or could use a simple swipe gesture. In that case four buttons would cover a lot of space from your game graphics which is not necessary and every touch display user knows how swipe works. I hope you get what i mean.
I know buttons are by far easier to implement. :)
Yea the problem is and I forgot to mention, it's 3d and first person, so to spin around to face a monster, then touch it to target could be frustrating. Or if it's off in the distance moving it could be hard to touch accurately.

With my "tab" target button, it builds a list of any monsters/animals/npcs tagged "enemy" that are within a perimeter of the character, sorts by distance and brings up the healthbar of the nearest one which it targets and pivots the character to face....

I tried a few different ways and this seemed to work the best because if a monster is behind you directly, it'll spin the character to face it when you target it, rather than having to constantly spin around to face monsters.

At first I didn't have a "next target" button, and when you pressed a sword attack it would select a target, rotate to face it, and swing, but you couldn't change the target until the current one died, or you ran out of it's range.
I see :). Then your approach makes sense i think. Two ideas that came to my mind are:
1) position prev target button on left side of screen and next target on right side. In action time its possibly easier to act with device in two hands :)
2) if you are on a platform that has a gyroscope make use of it could be fun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement