Sign in to follow this  

glVertexPointer and glColor4fv

This topic is 2093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I am using glVertexPointer to set my point coordinates. The only primitives I have are triangles. I could use glColorPointer, but all triangles - possibly millions - are the same color. So rather than using glColorPointer I would like to use glColor(3,4).

If I use glColor3f, this works just fine on my machine. However, if I use glColor4f and the transparency value is set, the resulting triangles are NOT transparent.

I'm wondering...:

1) Is it legal to enable VertexPointer but NOT ColorPointer? In other words, am I just lucky that the call to glColor3f on my machine worked when the true behavior when pointers are being used is undefined?

2) If this is legal - as I hope it is - is there anything special that needs to be done to make glColor4f work to get transparency? Or is this the result of a probable bug in my code?

The code is rather large and I cannot post it here. So I thought I'd just ask about the rules to make sure I'm using them correctly.

Thanks.

Brother Bob,

You are right. I have to glEnable(GL_BLEND).

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this