Game genres, what do you want to develop?

Started by
32 comments, last by Lex224 11 years, 9 months ago

[quote name='sunandshadow' timestamp='1335767443' post='4936001']
[quote name='Bacterius' timestamp='1335745687' post='4935942']
You forgot to add a category for puzzle games such as Biosys (survival/adventure/puzzle).

I haven't played that, but doesn't that go in the adventure category, since it is a point and click? I don't think of survival as a gameplay genre (which is what the poll is), I think of it as more of a trope genre like horror, sci-fi, fantasy, comedy, etc.
[/quote]
It's not really adventure since it's pretty much always the same places you visit. It's a fairly small, closed world, the main emphasis is on problem solving (going back and forth), so I'm not sure where it would fit into the poll. I suppose you could class it into Adventure but I don't think it's accurate. I just feel the poll is missing a couple choices but it's not a big deal, 99% of all game genres are represented already.
[/quote]

What you described as not adventure though is precisely what Myst is, which was categorized as adventure. I don't necessarily agree with the games nor definitions of the polls, particuarly the genres I'd like to develope. Interactive Story Games use to be categorized as adventure games, whereas Myst was more of a puzzle game (think of it like a series of puzzle games all mixed into one). The other issue is JRPGs vs Western RPGs. By this definition in the poll, Final Fantasy 1 would be a Western RPG, and some Ultima and Wizadry games would be JRPG's, even though they inspired many aspects of what is considered classical JRPG fare and are western RPGs. JRPG's are more of an evolution in terms of technology and story based on early western RPGs, whereas western RPGs today are more of an evolution in gameplay.

That being said, the one game I'd love to take the gameplay of an use it for future games is The Last Express. (I guess it would fall under the category of an interactive story game). It sold poorly, but I feel it was just way too ahead of it's time. I mean, how many real-time interactive stories can you name? Not an action adventure game, as there was very little action; it was mostly just story telling. But imagine the gameplay put towards a mystery game, or a horror game, where you have a real time limit, and have a low possibility of ever experiecing the same game twice?
Advertisement
I would love to be part of an Sci-Fi Space Sim. Preferabely with a heart for trading and Story. I´m not so much for full 3d-bombastsurround graphics, but would be very contend with a style like: Black Market by Big Block Games (http://www.bigblockgames.com/). I also loved Dark Star One, even if it was repetitive. But trading in these Games is just a fun thing to do. I never had this experience with the X series. (I started playing on X3, and the game is just terrible, becouse it will have you working all the time: Instead of having a good time. Also: Usability sucked big time.

And i would love this game to have some resemblance to the Mout & Blade series, Interface, worldmap and Battle related. Just a brilliant mix. So if there is ever going to be something like Mount & Blade: 3126, please give me a call! (Designer here, with actual real world certificates ;))

Absolute no-no´s: Procedurally generated Galaxies without a fixed worldmap. I mean if i play hundreds of houres and can´t even tell/compare with other people. What´s the point really?
i would like to make an MMO because i just love how interaction between people can shape a game
Not sure where they would fit in the poll, but I always enjoy "building/puzzle" elements in games. Examples I have played include Crayon Physics, Crazy Machines, World of Goo, and recently Spacechem. Sadly it is a difficult concept (for me) to design or come up with ideas, but I'd love to someday incorporate something of the sort in a game.
Jump and Runs! Like Commander Keen.

Yeah, I notice a severe lack of platformers in that poll (or arcade-like genres in general, for that matter - no fighting games? no shumps?)
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
I always prefer WRPG than JRPG. I think customizations and character development are always a good thing in any RPG. It adds replayability, naturaly changes the difficulty, and strategy of your game.

[quote name='Mihai Moldovan' timestamp='1335834896' post='4936270']Jump and Runs! Like Commander Keen.

Yeah, I notice a severe lack of platformers in that poll (or arcade-like genres in general, for that matter - no fighting games? no shumps?)
[/quote]
Oh, you're right there is. x_X I'll try to fix that up, I'm not sure what the max number of poll options on a single question is and how many I have left.

Edit: Oh good, I had enough. Apologies for not knowing any modern examples of shmups, I haven't played one of these in years except for minigames within a game of a different genre, or an irl shooting gallery at an amusement park.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Probably I've forgotten something, ... What makes a game concept one you want to help bring to life?

Games like Backgammon, Scrabble or Yahtzee which depend on skill, but luck of the dice/draw impacts ones outcome as well. Aggravation/trouble/sorry type games also add an element of multi-player plotting, but have yet to come across games where the luck to skill dependence is easily varied. I've begun such a game and will post more as things progress. Browser games is the closest thing I could see on the list?

[quote name='sunandshadow' timestamp='1335414643' post='4934964']
Probably I've forgotten something, ... What makes a game concept one you want to help bring to life?

Games like Backgammon, Scrabble or Yahtzee which depend on skill, but luck of the dice/draw impacts ones outcome as well. Aggravation/trouble/sorry type games also add an element of multi-player plotting, but have yet to come across games where the luck to skill dependence is easily varied. I've begun such a game and will post more as things progress. Browser games is the closest thing I could see on the list?
[/quote]
Well, if you are thinking of something like two or more people playing scrabble or a CCG over a network, yes I'd consider that a browser-based game. If you are thinking of a single-player board, card, or dice game I'd collectively term those solitaires. Technically I guess they are turn-based strategy games, or some are more on the physics sim side, for example I know my friend's father is particularly fond of solitaire pool (billiards) games, and pinball would go in the same category. I didn't include them in the survey because typically these kinds of games are developed as physical board/card/dice games and only then ported to a computer format. Boardgamegeek is a great community for discussing this sort of design, if you're not already familiar with it. Not to exclude them or anything, they do fit in under gamedev's umbrella, just saying that if you don't find enough discussion of them here try there too.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Oh, you're right there is. x_X I'll try to fix that up, I'm not sure what the max number of poll options on a single question is and how many I have left.

Thank you *redoes vote to include new genres* Yeah, I'm interested on arcade-like genres - or better said, pretty much anything avatar-based action-oriented.

Edit: Oh good, I had enough. Apologies for not knowing any modern examples of shmups, I haven't played one of these in years except for minigames within a game of a different genre, or an irl shooting gallery at an amusement park.

Probably because outside of niche companies doing bullet hells (e.g. Cave) or indie developers, there aren't many shumps these days. An example of modern shump that has similar mechanics to old ones is Ether Vapor. OK, the original game has its years already, but the Remastered version (which has improved graphics) was released in 2011, and Nyu Media (who licensed it for localization) is meant to release it on Steam this year.
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement