Sign in to follow this  
StratfordCanning

Hexwar Project. Contribute. Criticise

Evening All.

About me: I am a database professional and have worked in the IT (accounts not games!) industry for an embarrassingly long time before downloading a free IDE, going to the File menu and selecting 'New Project...'.

I've written a strategy hexgrid game and would like to invite you to take a look. It is inspired by playing a (free) game called Wesnoth. Wesnoth is great; the artwork and music are fantastic, but I found some aspects of the gameplay frustrating so have tried to write my own.

Turn-based board games sometimes hinge on whose turn it happens to be at a crucial moment. This can be annoying so I have tried to use a 'simultaneous move' model. Also, I agree with CS Lewis about the 'f***ing elves' and think more imagination is needed in providing the environment for games.

I am pleased to have written something from scratch that is playable and want to take the idea further. Get involved if you want. I have been browsing gamedev.net for a while and it seems a friendly international place to form a dialogue.

It is free here, called Hexwar:

[url="http://www.moonsch.com/?creator&administrator&20"]http://www.moonsch.c...dministrator[/url]

Please read the README.doc in the downloaded ZIP.

It's Windows C# and SQL Server (these are what I have to hand). You'll need DirectX to get it to work. All this should be downloadable for free.

Please bring any problems to my attention here. Bear in mind that I have very little experience in developing graphical applications and am a one-man-band, so be kind.

I have added a simple AI opponent. Very simple (the idiot just chases you round the screen Benny Hill style, and isn't too good at that for some reason).

http://www.moonsch.com/?creator&administrator&20

Crashes when I start up PLAYABLE_COMPONENTS/hexwar.exe. Just brings up the message "hexwar.exe has stopped working...".

I'm not an expert (hence in beginner's section), but I think that you should just need the redist of .net to run it - do the versions have to match or can .net 3 cope with stuff built in earlier versions? I've had it going on my machine (an elderly win2k piece of crap) and Mrs Canning's Windows 7 as a test so it should be possible.

Thanks for taking the time!

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/aext74.png[/img]

Well i tried compiling it and got this issue. >__< Not sure why honestly, and it still doesn't work correctly. Going to download the SDK for .net

That's where it tries to set up the device to draw things. DirectX problem? Also I think a problem might be getting it to connect to the database - there might be problems with virus detectors and firewalls and such.

Well i dont have SQL server installed, so. Also i have the newest Direct X so that shouldn't be an issue. It could possibly be a virus protection software. Have you attempted this on another computer besides your own or your wife's?

Well I got somewhere.
[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/18kot3.png[/img]

I was able to compile to this point. The one way to do so was I had to change the solution platform to x86. on x64 it would crash at the same area as before but this way I made some progress. (I'm guessing this is because you're developing on a 32-bit machine)

Not sure if this is helpful for any one else or not but I did manage to get the project working perfectly on my Windows 7 64 bit. I will post what I did below, and I assuming you double clicked on his project (and possibly needed to upgrade it as well if you are using vs2010) so all of the settings which the project had are included.[list=1]
[*]Open project, (Upgrade if needed). At the top it will say Any CPU. Open the drop down box and select the configuration manager.
[*]Once there, click the 'Active Solution Platform' drop down box and select new.
[*]The first window "Type or select the new platform" drop that down to x86. On the window below, "Copy From". select <Empty>.
[*]Build the project. DO NOT DEBUG YET AS YOU WILL GET AN ERROR!!
[*]Open the bin folder, you should now see Release, Debug, and x86. Open Debug and copy the folder Images.
[*]Next, open the x86 folder and paste the folder inside. You may now debug and get the correct information from the server.
[/list]

I attached a screen shot to show it working on my computer. I do not have SQL Server installed, although, you need to make sure you have .net 2.0 which I believe comes installed anyway with Visual Studio. The Direct3D DLL's did not work in anything but a .net 2.0 platform target on my computer.

[attachment=8727:HexWar.jpg]

As a test I played the map AI Test -- Richie. It was a little confusing at first to understand what was going on, but it only took a minute to learn how to play. Pretty cool concept. If you need any questions about what I did, computer information, or need better directions feel free to PM me or reply below, I will be glad to answer. Hope those interested can get it working! [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/happy.png[/img]

- iheartyyouxo

Nice one, I'm so glad you got it working and thanks for the positive comment. Realistically if you want to have a go at messing round with the code you're going to need SQL Express.

I am curious in the real world of games how much of the grunt is done by database engines? It's a really convenient way to store the state of the game but I wonder if pros prefer something specifically tailored to what they need to do?

Finally, does anyone know of such a thing as an online sourcesafe type service that's free?