Hexwar Project. Contribute. Criticise

Started by
13 comments, last by StratfordCanning 11 years, 11 months ago
Evening All.

About me: I am a database professional and have worked in the IT (accounts not games!) industry for an embarrassingly long time before downloading a free IDE, going to the File menu and selecting 'New Project...'.

I've written a strategy hexgrid game and would like to invite you to take a look. It is inspired by playing a (free) game called Wesnoth. Wesnoth is great; the artwork and music are fantastic, but I found some aspects of the gameplay frustrating so have tried to write my own.

Turn-based board games sometimes hinge on whose turn it happens to be at a crucial moment. This can be annoying so I have tried to use a 'simultaneous move' model. Also, I agree with CS Lewis about the 'f***ing elves' and think more imagination is needed in providing the environment for games.

I am pleased to have written something from scratch that is playable and want to take the idea further. Get involved if you want. I have been browsing gamedev.net for a while and it seems a friendly international place to form a dialogue.

It is free here, called Hexwar:

http://www.moonsch.c...dministrator

Please read the README.doc in the downloaded ZIP.

It's Windows C# and SQL Server (these are what I have to hand). You'll need DirectX to get it to work. All this should be downloadable for free.

Please bring any problems to my attention here. Bear in mind that I have very little experience in developing graphical applications and am a one-man-band, so be kind.
Advertisement
I have added a simple AI opponent. Very simple (the idiot just chases you round the screen Benny Hill style, and isn't too good at that for some reason).

http://www.moonsch.com/?creator&administrator&20
Crashes when I start up PLAYABLE_COMPONENTS/hexwar.exe. Just brings up the message "hexwar.exe has stopped working...".
That's a bit disappointing. Do you have DirectX and .net installed? I think I've got version 9 of directx and .net 1.1 and 2.
I'm having that issue as well sadly. I have DX11 installed and It seems like I have .net installed i'm double checking that now. Do we need the SDK for .net?
I'm not an expert (hence in beginner's section), but I think that you should just need the redist of .net to run it - do the versions have to match or can .net 3 cope with stuff built in earlier versions? I've had it going on my machine (an elderly win2k piece of crap) and Mrs Canning's Windows 7 as a test so it should be possible.

Thanks for taking the time!
aext74.png

Well i tried compiling it and got this issue. >__< Not sure why honestly, and it still doesn't work correctly. Going to download the SDK for .net
That's where it tries to set up the device to draw things. DirectX problem? Also I think a problem might be getting it to connect to the database - there might be problems with virus detectors and firewalls and such.
Well i dont have SQL server installed, so. Also i have the newest Direct X so that shouldn't be an issue. It could possibly be a virus protection software. Have you attempted this on another computer besides your own or your wife's?
Well I got somewhere.
18kot3.png

I was able to compile to this point. The one way to do so was I had to change the solution platform to x86. on x64 it would crash at the same area as before but this way I made some progress. (I'm guessing this is because you're developing on a 32-bit machine)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement