Sign in to follow this  
Dovahkiin

Where should I start?

Hi this is my first post on this forum and I came here for this game my cousin and I have been talking about making. We are trying to decide on where to start. Most likely decide the engine. We are planning on making a game of our old childhood airsoft games. We would like something that most our friends can meet the minimum requirements but will still really test out my graphics card. We would like to design a series of different maps on places we played at with all the landmarks in it in great detail. We would also like to edit the shapes and designs of guns to make them look like the airsoft guns we used. Also I would like to edit the gun sounds and the bullet drop. Editing player models is a must. Then once it is done I would like to open up a server for my friends and I to play on. The question is though what should I start? What is the software I need for this? Engine?

You can take a look at Unity3d as an engine, and Blender for graphics. It doesn't sound like you have any previous programming experience though. You need to start with the basics, and that's gonna take a while.

[quote name='AdrianC' timestamp='1335503213' post='4935293']
You can take a look at Unity3d as an engine, and Blender for graphics. It doesn't sound like you have any previous programming experience though. You need to start with the basics, and that's gonna take a while.
[/quote]
Is there a good guide to programming for beginners on this site?

[quote name='Dovahkiin' timestamp='1335527385' post='4935354']
[quote name='AdrianC' timestamp='1335503213' post='4935293']
[/quote]
Is there a good guide to programming for beginners on this site?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx"]I want to be a game developer... now what?[/url]

Long, long road ahead of you, good luck.